Chapter 18: An Old Friend

"So... that's what's happened," Silver said.

Krita nodded his head softly. They were sitting around in a clearing a little way away from the battle they had just fought, solemn. Blaze was comforting Reha, the water dragoness being shaken from the violence. West had gone hunting, for once silenced and in shock. The humans were mourning for their fallen comrade, talking in low voices with tears in their eyes. Yet they were all avoiding the silver dragon, and she didn't blame them.

"You've come far since we last met," said the mind dragon, "I thought you would, after what you showed me at D.E.D."

"I know, but at what cost," she muttered, thinking back to the battle.

Blood still stained her metallic shell, creating an almost red sheen in the slowly dying sunlight. It was not that she regretted what she did during the battle, nor was she shocked. It was more she felt bad for having to do such a violent action. What shocked her more was the fact that it had been so easy. It had been so easy to take control of the other dragon. So easy to rip him apart.

"Sometimes Silver, you have to do what is necessary," Krita said, "I know it is harsh, but I understand what you did to Tetrad. It was one of the few ways you would have been able to kill him. I honestly thought I would never see his end. And the death you gave him is all that monster deserved."

She smiled slightly, "I agree with you. Thanks Krita."

"No problem," he grinned back.

"So... are you going to go back to D.E.D?"

He thought for a moment, before shaking his head, "Tetrad was the main threat from that organisation. Without him they won't function quite as well, and now without me they'll struggle even more. They rely on mind dragons there. And... if you don't mind of course, I would like to join you."

"Really?" she blinked in surprise.

"Yes. Humans are horrible creatures, yes, but so are dragons. There is just as much evil in us as there is in them. During my time in D.E.D I saw that, and I also saw the kindness of humans and dragons. Many times a dragon escaped was because a kind hearted human decided to take a risk. Many lives were saved."

"Yes," he said, flicking his tail, "As destructive as they are, I believe they still deserve a chance to live. Your current human friends are proof of this."

She nodded her head, and slowly got to her feet, "They are great aren't they. Hey, I'm gonna go... hunting for a couple of hours. Tell the others will you. I do need to clean up after all."

"Okay, see you soon then," he replied.

The dragoness smiled softly before opening her wings and pushing herself into the air. Blaze glanced up as she left, narrowing his eyes slightly. Something had changed about her, it was quite obvious. It was true, he hadn't seen her in a fight for her life before, nor had he seen what she was capable of. But he hadn't expected what he had seen. It had frightened him to an extent. There had been no mercy in the way she fought, no hesitation in her attack. Sure, she had been angry at the death of the human, but it was almost as though she lost control because of it.

Silver glided over the forest for a couple of minutes, searching for a place where she could land and wash. There was a small stream running through the forest a couple of hundred metres away. Taking the opportunity she folded in her wings and dived down toward it, landing softly on the bank and startling several strange coloured frogs.

She stepped into the water, hissing slightly as the cold washed over her paw. It was a small stream, but it would have to do. The mossy scent of rotting plant life wafted over the creak. Insects chirped incessantly in the background in almost musical harmony. The muddy ground suck deeply under Silver's footsteps, causing her to grunt softly in surprise. Sighing softly she forced herself to lower into the water. It was better to be muddy then bloody.