Chapter 31: The Horror of Humans

Silver sat down on her haunches, trying to resist the urge to close her eyes. She needed to be awake now, but was so exhausted. She felt as though she could just fall down on the grass below her, and never wake up again. That would be perfect. Just endless sleep. And endless nightmares. The second thought managed to wake her up again, if even for but a moment.

She was back in her clearing, just next to the pond underneath her cave, waiting. It was relaxing to once again have the silence of the wilderness around her. It gave her space, time to think. A chance to rest from all the decisions and hardship of war. Not that she would be alone for long.

A familiar silvery sheen descended from the sky, and everything stopped. The dragoness turned and gave a tired smile to Time. She was getting used to this now. At first, it was strange. Training to fight with Time himself wasn't something that usually happened, and part of her wondered if this was the first time he had trained someone.

"Good morning," O'hen said, tilting his head and looking down at her.

"Morning," yawned the dragoness.

"You look as though you've flown halfway around the world without rest," he stated.

"I feel that way as well," murmured Silver, shaking her head, "But I can still do this. The more I learn the quicker I'll be able to sleep."

"Hmm, that is true, but I don't think you are in quite the condition to do anything at the moment."

She rumbled softly, "I can still fight..."

"No, if you did so as you currently are... I'm pretty sure even a hatchling would beet you."

"Well what else can I do? I can't exactly sleep!" she was getting irritated, and the tiredness wasn't helping.

O'hen regarded her for a moment. She did look exhausted, like she was about to collapse at any moment. Her shell was a tired grey instead of the usual beautiful silver, and her wings were drooped by her side. Her eyes were strained as well as she struggled to keep them open. It looked as though she hadn't slept in months. The worst part about it was he knew the situation would just get worse and worse. Maybe it was time to start something different.

"Okay. I may have something for you," he said eventually, "Something that may help."

Silver tilted her head slightly in interest, "What?"

"So far I have only taught you how to use your power, and control the physical side of you. You have done remarkably well despite the situation you have been in. But now, I think, it is time to switch directions. While you still have a lot to learn about your metal, you know enough. That is all I can ask of you at this moment. Now, it is time to focus on your mind."

This time Silver frowned in confusion. Her mind?

"Not many know this, but you have as much control over your mental process as any mind dragon does. It's just harder."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, everything Eldawin is doing to you, you can do to yourself. If you wanted to, you could make yourself see illusions. You could twist your own thoughts, you can trick your own mind."

"How would that help me?" asked the dragoness, still not quite able to process what he was talking about.

He sighed, "You really are tired. It means that you will be able to control Eldawin's effect on your mind. He makes you see an illusion, you can make yourself not see it. He try's to control your body, you force him out. If you learn how to do this, you will be able to control pain, feeling, and your senses in general. Even your heartbeat. Everything. Against a mind dragon... they wouldn't be able to do anything to you."