Chapter 36: Fire and Fire

Black rolling clouds began to melt into the sky, accompanied with blue flashes of lighting and a hazy sprinkle of rain. The fire of the ruined car hissed softly but still burned strong. Lamps flickered on in the nearby streets to make up for the steadily disappearing light. Heat still simmered from the ground, causing a strange mist to rise from the raindrops.

In the middle of it all were two dragons, facing each other on a desolate corner of an abandoned building sight. The dancing flames of the car created a red and yellow glow across Silver's shell. Raize was solemn, revealing nothing. He just watched his sister carefully, as if waiting for her next move, waiting for her to attack.

Diana came around the side of the car and froze when she saw the fire dragon. She glanced at Silver, noticing the tension between the two. She hadn't known Raize that well, nor did she recognise him well enough to link the two of them together. She could only assume.

"Diana, get Liam and take him to safety," she said.

The woman nodded her head and carefully grabbed Liam by the shoulders. She began pulling him away from the wreckage trying her best not to injure him further. Silver would help, but she was afraid of what Raize would do if she turned her back.

"What are you doing here?" she asked, talking to her brother.

"Nothing you need to concern yourself with," he replied, his voice just as passive as his demeanour.

"It is something I need to concern myself with, considering you nearly killed two of my friends," she growled, taking a step forward.

"They'll be dead by the end of the week," Raize seemed almost sad at the prospect, "It matter's little whether they die now, or later."

"The end of the week...?" she blinked, not realising they were so close to finishing the machine.

"Silver!" came a call from above.

The dragoness looked up and smiled slightly as the familiar beautiful red form of Firefly circled down from above them, not at all deterred by the rain or closing storm. She landed smoothly next to Silver, glancing toward Raize with a small frown. She quickly made the connection between the flaming car and the new fire dragon.

"What are you doing here?" asked Silver.

"Liam sent out a distress signal about ten minutes ago. I was sent ahead of the others to see what was wrong. It seems the problem has escalated to a bit more then a police chase."

"You could say that. Liam has been knocked unconscious, we need to get him out of here," Silver said.

"I'm afraid you two won't be going anywhere," growled Raize suddenly, seeming slightly annoyed at Firefly blatantly ignoring him, "Well, at least not Silver anyway."

"And who's this?" asked the fire dragoness.

"My brother... Raize," replied Silver.

"Oooh, so this is the traitor brother I've been hearing so much about," she turned to face him and began to walk forwards, "You're the smallest of the bunch. Didn't expect that."

He snorted, "And you are... Firefly, I'm guessing."

"Well guessed," she chuckled.

She began to pace toward the fire drake, making him frown and take a small step backwards. As she walked she flicked her tail in Silver's direction, a silent gesture to get out of there. The dragoness hesitated, not want to leave her alone to face the power of her brother. But, in the end, she guessed they were both dragon's of equilibrium.