Chapter 7 • After Effects

:*:*:*:*:*:*:
Tuesday
8:13 am
:*:*:*:*:*:*:

I didn't know what was happening. All morning I had been receiving looks from people. I couldn't even tell if they were meant to be good or bad but I had a strong feeling that this had something to do with me shooting Mr. Remora. What have I gotten myself into?

"You see what I'm talking about?" I asked Jake who was feeling as uneasy as I was. He was being stared at as well, but only because he was walking beside me I was sure.

"Yeah, I can see what you mean." he replied as I grunted. I hung my head and walked even faster. This morning we were going horseback riding and I wasn't so hyped about it anymore. I mean, if people didn't stop looking or talking about me like that, eventually, I was gonna snap.

Oomph!

"Ouch! Would you watch where you're...oh, Keston." I said rubbing my forehead as soon as I realized that it was him.

"Sorry." he apologized sheepishly as the stares got more intense. I could literally feel the intensity of the eyes piercing into my back. I groaned and glared at the floor.

"What's wrong?" he inquired, seeming to realize that I was in a sour mood.

"Don't you see that we are being stared at?" I asked a little surprised at the fact that he was oblivious to it all.

"Katherine, I'm Keston Gavier, I get stared at everyday." he chuckled. Right, I had totally forgotten about that. This was practically everyday life for him, but it wasn't for me and I like my privacy thank you very much.

Jake suddenly nudged me with wide eyes as he looked at Keston. Oh, right. "Ah Keston, this is my best friend Jacob, and Jake, this is Mr. Keston Gavier." I introduced the two. They shook hands stiffly as an awkward tension gathered in the air, a tension that I was sure was not a result of everyone's stare.

Okay then...

"So...are you going to ride this morning?" I asked, trying to clear the air.

"Yeah, I told you that I was gonna join you in the other activities didn't I?" he asked making me grin.

"Yeah, I had forgotten about that." I giggled before yelping at the feeling of something pinching my arm. I looked over to scowl at Jake but he just glared at me before walking off. What did I do?

"You okay?" Keston asked. I sighed in both confusion and frustration before giving him a small smile and nodding.

"Yeah, I'm good. We better head on over to the stables though, if we wanna get a good horse that is." I advised with a frown. He agreed before leading me to the side of the castle.

I didn't know what Jake's problem was but I was about to find out. Somehow I had a feeling that it had something go do with Keston and that spiked my curiosity even more. I only hoped that I didn't upset him in any way, I mean what a bummer would that have been? I also hoped that he didn't think I was ignoring him either, I brought him there for fun and that was what we were gonna have.

I put my thoughts on hold at that moment however, finally deciding that I would have to ask him later. I hoped it wasn't anything too big.

:*:*:*:*:*:
9:20 am
:*:*:*:*:*:

I sighed in content as the wind whirled around me causing a chill to descend my spine. My eyes were closed as I basked in this feeling. The wind whipping through my hair, the sound of the forest around me, the feel of the horse and the chatter of the people made me feel... I don't know, overwhelmed?