Chapter 37 • After Effects

"Ms. Harrington?"

"Ms. Harrington!"

I looked up immediately, jumping just a bit at the sudden exclamation. A bit disoriented, my eyes found the concerned ones of Mr. Jones in the rearview mirror of an unmoving car. I was very confused now.

How on earth did I get here? I was just at the orphanage a few minutes ago and now-

I looked out the windshield of the vehicle to see the familiar front doors of the Remora House. My jaw fell a little.

I was back at the office?

"Ms. Harrington!"

"Yes?" I answered immediately and found myself looking back over to the now empty driver's seat. A throat cleared off to my right directing my attention to the now open door next to Mr. Jones. I closed my eyes for a few seconds, taking a deep breath. I was officially losing my crap...

"Are you alright? You were awfully distracted the entire drive," Mr. Jones spoke quickly as soon as my eyes were open and I was finally registering his movements again.

I shook my head as a way to clear my head and grabbing my handbag from the seat, stepped out. Smiling, I stared up at the slightly perturbed man.

"I'm sorry for concerning you Mr. Jones but there is no need to worry. I'm just a bit tired from everything that has happened since this morning but otherwise I am completely fine," I replied, which was true to some point, though I knew that was not at all the reason for my distracted behaviour. Something much bigger and shocking had taken hold of my attention, and so much that it was as if I was lost to my thoughts only and oblivious to everything else that was going on around me.

Mr. Jones shut the door behind me and gave me a small smile in return.

"Well, it was a good thing then that Mr. Remora asked me to fetch you because otherwise, I am afraid of what might've happened to you with your present state of mind. I wouldn't be surprised if you had found yourself kidnapped by five year old girls who took you to play tea with them or something," he shook his head chuckling and I couldn't help doing the same, but as Mr. Jones drove away, I felt myself burdened once again with what I had found out from that orphanage.

I spun towards the building with a determination to forget this for at least a couple of hours until I was home and could think properly, but this was a stubborn thought and it seemed to rather me dieing from absent-mindedness than forgetting it for a while, so soon, I was gone again, thinking nonstop about the revelation.

Mr. Riddian Remora, hard minded billionaire.

An orphan.

Adopted.

I felt so guilty and embarrassed for the way I thought of him that morning. The way I went on and on about the privileges he must've received his entire life. Little did I know...

I sighed as I shifted around and through groups of people on the first floor. So many questions needed to be asked and answered in my mind. Like how old was he when he entered the orphanage and- NO! Now I was just being a busybody. This was none of my business so why was I so troubled? I had only met the man what, six months before and only knew him for like two and a half of those months. Now I wanted an explanation to one of probably the most haunting things of his life?

Calm down Katherine, you don't know if this is one of his worst memories or not! Maybe he went to that orphanage on good terms or... I almost hit myself. What good terms could there possibly be for someone to be in an orphanage? Who knows what he has been through or why I even care!