Chapter 45 • After Effects

"You know that it is my birthday."

"Well I-"

"And you still kept me here?" 

"I didn't-"

"Wait, is that why we went to that restaurant? Because you felt guilty?" I continued, finally realising that was the only explanation. The client was obviously only a cover.

"Well-"

"I knew it! I knew something was suspicious about all of this!" 

"Will you ever just be quiet and allow me to talk?"

I paused from my rant and glared at him. "What?"

"I only found out it was your birthday in the break room, and you're the stubborn one who decided that you weren't going to tell me so you really only have yourself to blame!" he began, giving me a look that warned me to not interrupt him. The worst part was that I wasn't even planning on it with him not being all wrong in what he was saying. "Now even though that is so, here," he jerked his head towards the muffin.

"This is my peace offering for partly being at fault in... ruining your birthday, and while I don't do things like this often—which means you better enjoy it while it lasts— birthdays are something that I don't take lightly so... that's the only reason for this offering and apology," he gritted out through his teeth causing me to raise an eyebrow. I decided to ignore the part about this being the only reason and instead focused on the other parts.

"That was... you were apologising just now?" I asked, completely unaware of this.

He rose an eyebrow.  

"I did say so didn't I?"

"Actually, that's not how you-"

"Well that's the best you're going to get so either take it or leave it," he snapped, turning away quickly.

I groaned.

"Well fine then," I quipped back, turning to the muffin again. Checking the time on my watch first, I saw that it was eighteen minutes past twelve. I turned again to Riddian's back and bit my lip hesitantly. "Thank you for this," I muttered, though soon I gave a small chuckle. "But it's a little too late since my birthday ended a good while ago."

Riddian turned back to me, checking his watch. He tilted his head a little.

"Seems like its right on time to me because you've got exactly one minute until midnight."

My eyes flashed back to my watch. "What?" I wondered out loud. I slapped my forehead stupidly when I remembered that I had set my watch twenty minutes fast in order to keep up with Riddian for some trip we went on the other day. I had forgotten to change it back...

"Only a minute Ms. Harrington. Make it count," he continued, lighting the candle and stepping back.

The light of the small flame bounced off his features effortlessly. I couldn't help staring at how hard it made his features appear and for a minute, I was lost to admiring his face and his eyes which were boring intently into mine as well. Emotions switched through them as if they were on a cycle and someone forgot to press the off button. I got worn out only after a minute of watching the spectacle and decided to give up and take his advice. I had about half a minute left and I would make the most of it. 

Looking down at the small flame, I closed my eyes and made my wish. I didn't know if it would come through as we always believed, but I made it anyways and when done, smiled and blew out the tiny light. There was a flash above me and I really hoped  it wasn't a surprise thunderstorm coming. It hadn't been, but what I saw surprised me enough. It had been Riddian... he had just taken a picture with his phone.