Chapter 36 • After Effects

I sniffed the air to make sure.

"Ah sir?" I spoke, turning with my nose in the air. He must've either noticed the manor by which I had addressed him or the strong smell as well because he turned to me almost immediately.

My eyebrows furrowed. "What's that smell?"

I watched him look at me confused before turning his nose to the air. It took a few seconds but he soon wore an expression which looked like a mischievous child caught in an act. It quickly disappeared as I narrowed my eyes at him.

"Riddian?"

He clenched his teeth harshly.

"What. Is that smell?" I demanded, glancing away from him and around the room for just a moment. He was suddenly looking nonchalant, moving away from the window and walking over to the fire place.

"That, Ms. Harrington," he glanced at me, "is precisely why you should not lie."

"Excuse me?"

"Your pants are on fire," he nodded.

I crossed my arms bemused but then noticed that he was suddenly fidgety. Wait a second! He doesn't usually get fidgety! That only happens when he is nervous to tell me something like with that one time where he didn't want me to come to dinner with him but had to ask me anyways.

Riddian gave what resembled a nervous chuckle before getting stony-faced.

"No seriously Ms. Harrington, your pants are burning. I am looking at your clothes right at this very moment and they are on top of the heater, engulfed in flames."

"What!"

I looked to where he was now standing and from just behind a chair there was smoke rising.

Running over, I almost choked on my disbelief at the sight of my clothes really burning just on top of the heater. I stood in shock as the material melted down to scraps and just when I was about to pass out from the smoke which had managed to enter my frozen body, the fire was no longer existing as water was poured onto it.

I turned to Riddian shocked but was even more shocked and in every way furious when water was thrown into my face next making me gasp. I shrieked as I swiped it away to look at a completely blank faced Riddian.

"W-WHY?" I screamed into said face.

He rested this jar atop the fireplace and then started rolling his sleeves up again which had managed to roll down. Humming, he murmured something thoughtfully. 

"Interesting, I could've sworn I saw fire there as well."

"Where! On my face?" I snarled making him deadpan and blink.

"I suddenly forget."

:*:*:*:*:*:*:

I thanked Mr. Jones profusely as I collected the garment bag from him and then watched him leave the office immediately. I had been cooped up in there for the last two hours and while some- Riddian!- would ask stupid questions like: Why didn't I just leave, I would like to make it clear that I couldn't because he had destroyed my clothes and we both DEFINITELY didn't want anyone to think that I was wearing his clothes for any other reason than the one where he had burnt mine. 

I glared at he who was back to ignoring me completely and then stormed off to get dressed in clothing that didn't swallowed me whole. In not less than three minutes, I was done and returning to the office where Riddian was still concentrating on his work. As nonchalantly as I could, I began walking towards the-