Chapter 39 • After Effects

For the entire weekend I had thought about it. It was even easier to do so since I didn't really have a social life whenever my friends were busy, and conveniently, Jake had gotten some extra hours at work and Julian and Harper were away on that wedding date.

Though don't get things wrong, thinking about it was good. I got the chance to gather my thoughts, see where I made mistakes in my assumptions in the past and then feel horrible for those times in preparation to improve my behaviours towards my boss. And it was almost as if I had accomplished my goals when I returned to work that Monday. I had managed to alter my mind to be only a bit more understanding and sympathetic towards Riddian, but just not full out changed.

The plan (gosh I am really starting to hate those) was to be normal, but open-minded, and everything had been perfectly set towards this 'normal' thing I was trying to achieve, until I reached before Riddian's door and was reminded that he was Riddian, I was Katherine and this was the freaking Remora House we were talking about. That combination didn't do normal.

But I should've known something was up though. It should've been expected! I had been feeling positive all morning and heck, I had even anticipated not having much mood swings today. But how stupid had I been? Apparently stupid enough to knock on that hard, wooden door that morning and think that I would've actually gotten the normal day that I had wanted.   

"Um sir?"

See? Stupid enough.

I rapped the door again and pursed my lips. An exaggerated eye roll escaped me at the thought of having to be polite in such a moment and I was about to knock again when I realised it was probably of no use.

I tried turning the knob. Still, nothing.

The door was actually locked.

Something I had never witnessed in my entire time of working there. Then I almost jumped at the sound of a familiar but not too familiar voice behind me.

"Looking for Mr. Remora?"

I turned to see one of the few employees of this floor, Horace Montgomery, a guy I had only ever met once in the break room a few weeks back.

"Yes?"

"He's not coming in today," he replied and then turned to retreat from my eye sight.

I stared after his retreating back and only blinked as I tried to wrap my head around his words. I was so confused I wondered if I had gone brain-dead. It was not until my co-worker's back disappeared into the next corridor that I could think clearly and react appropriately.

"What on earth do you mean by he's not coming in today?" I snapped.

I slammed the cup onto my desk and grabbed my phone out from my bag. Hurriedly, I dialed the number. Seconds after the phone had begun ringing, a woman's voice answered, and I have to admit that I was shocked.

"Who is this?" I asked, a hand on my hip.

"I'm sorry, I believe you're the one calling so you should tell me who you are first," she replied.

I pursed my lips in restrained anger. In case it wasn't noticeable, I was not in the mood for any sense right now.

"Okay listen here lady, I don't know who you are, but I called to speak to that man. And if you don't put him on right this instance, I can't promise any nice responses from m-"

"Hello?" a different woman's voice suddenly cut over the phone.

"Who the heck is this now?" I asked hitting my hand against my desk. Why on earth were all these women answering Riddian's phone!