Chapter 23 • After Effects

"Mr. Goredez, Mr. Goredez!" reporters called from all around, trying to get the attention of the famous singer and actor who had just left his hotel and was heading to a set at the moment. I looked at the bright light flashing before my eyes as I followed and for a second I stopped walking as I had been momentarily blinded by one of the cameras.

"Katherine, are you okay?" Ignacio asked as he grabbed for my hand and pulled me to his chest. "I thought I had lost you for a second there mi amor." he smiled for a second, his pearly white teeth showing as he gazed down at me with loving eyes.

I looked up at the star and returned the smile, then resting my head on his chest, I sighed. "As long as I'm with you Ignacio, I'll always be okay." I murmured softly, my eyes closing soon after, but this moment didn't last too long as the place suddenly got dark as if it were night and not day, and a voice soon also replaced Ignacio's own.

"Ms. Harrington!"

My eyes flew open to see that I was now leaned against Mr. Remora's chest and now in his office, being stared down by his hostile glare at midnight! "What are you doing? You should be organizing my files, not slacking off!" he bellowed, and as if on cue, mountains of files appeared and my hands started moving through them as if they were being controlled by someone else. 

I looked up once again and saw that Mr. Remora was still above me, this time hitting a ruler against the desk I was working at, feeding on cupcakes and bagels which slowly turned him into a bigger version of himself  which kept on calling my name, "Ms. Harrington! Ms. Harrington! Ms. Harrington!"...

"Ms. Harrington!"

I flew up out of my chair as the real Mr. Remora, and not the one from my dream, called my name in an irritated voice.

I looked up to see that I was still in Mr. Cromwell's small office with Mr. Remora, Mr. Jones and Mr. Cromwell himself. They were all staring at me.

I cleared my throat and sat up properly in my chair as the men turned away once more to continue their meeting. I groaned softly as I moved my legs in the wooden chair that had been conveniently put in the corner of the room away from everyone else who were discussing whatever problem Mr. Cromwell had called Mr. Remora there for. It had turned out that whatever it was, Mr. Remora didn't need me to know of it so I was therefore cast out and into a corner of the room like a naughty child... or garbage.

I checked my time and saw that it had been three hours since we had been there in the stuffy, little office. There was henceforth no mystery as to why I had fallen asleep. I almost dozed off again but thankfully, Mr. Remora stood along with the other men and muttered a, "Make sure that you keep me updated on the affected ships" as he shook Mr. Cromwell's hand. Mr. Cromwell in turn returned the shake and then lead him and Mr. Jones out of the office. I took that as my cue to leave as well unless I wanted to be stuck at the port until...further notice.

Stepping out into the open once more, I was happy to be back into natural light and not under the bulbs of the office. The men had already started walking back to the parking lot, not even bothering to check if I was with them, being the gentlemen they were—so I dragged my feet as best as I could with the pumps I was wearing.

We reached the car in little to no time since I was distracted by the view around me. Sadly, it no longer consisted of half dressed men since they had covered up again, but the place was still interesting to observe.