Chapter 33 • After Effects

I knocked rhythmically on the door before pushing it open.

"You called?"

Without looking up at me, my boss waved a hand to tell me to enter and before I could sit, dropped a package of papers on his desk before me.

I smiled at the scowl on his face. He was not happy.

Good.

"Bring these down to Mr. Gordon to get them signed. These have to be faxed off to our partners by this afternoon."

"Okay," I nodded.

"By the time you would have returned, I would have already left to my eleven fifteen meeting, but I expect you to stay here and finish the reports I told you to do on the last set of shipping that weren't accounted for." He stamped the paper he had been working on before setting it aside to only pick up two more.

I coughed.

"What if I did all the reports already, what else would there be to do when I get back?" I asked with an innocent smile.

His head snapped up.

"You finished all the reports already?"

I allowed a little bit of silence before I chuckled and grabbed the package, waving a hand and then whispering,

"I was only joking."

He tensed, and I watched his right eye twitch. A wheezing sound came from him trying to control his anger and I watched in delight as he turned back to his work with shaking hands. I smiled before I waltzed back to the door and as I pulled the door open, called back at him,

"But if there is anything else you may need, feel free to call," and then left the room with a smirk on my face and an evil laugh leaving my lips. The smashing of an object against the other side of the door where my head would have been, sounded just seconds after I closed it. I sighed with a feeling of accomplishment.

He absolutely loathed me and that was good!

I slipped over to my desk for a second to call Franklin (who as of three days prior was on speed dial).

"Franklin speaking."

"It's Kat-"

A great sigh interrupted me and then Franklin was speaking again.

"So what was it this time? His desk clock, name-plate or the coffee mug?"

I thought about it.

"Not sure, but I'm pretty sure it sounded like the name-plate," I chuckled spitefully and the man did not fail to protest as a groan emanated from the phone.

"I'll be there in two minutes."

"Thanks, and bring a spare with you please."

"Of course."

I ended the call and grabbed the package again before turning towards a man I had only just noticed sitting in one of the waiting chairs.

"Mr. Heckles? Ten thirty appointment?"

He nodded wordlessly.

"Mr. Remora will see you now," I smiled before leaving down the hall and entering the elevator.

As I waited for the doors to close though, I couldn't help thinking, 'Serves him right', as I watched him enter the office. I know, I was a pretty petty person. I was setting up a man for his own death only because I could still remember the time he took the last pie slice from the cafeteria which I had wanted, but he wasn't even working here to deserve it!