Chapter 12 • After Effects

:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:
4 months later
July 4, 2011
Monday, 2:35 pm
:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:

"And tell me Ms. Harrington, how much experience do you have in this area?" Mr. Parker asked in the usual, bored, uninterested voice...the same one I received from my other four interviewers.

"Um...well, you see...I don't really have any experience. I just finished school a few months ago and I'm actually looking for my first job-"

"Ms. Harrington you did read the advertisement didn't you? We are asking for an experienced person who can handle all the duties that are allotted to them." he said. My eyebrow twitched. Why couldn't people just understand that I can do the job even though I'm not experienced? I am a very fast learner. If these interviews didn't stop going this way then I was gonna seriously go crazy. I couldn't live in my father's house for the rest of my life. I wouldn't live off his money. I needed a job, anything right now. I needed to get my own start in life!

"I know what it says Mr. Parker but if you would just give me this chance I promise I won't mess this up. I learn very quickly and I believe that I can do anything I put my mind to." I told him sincerely.

"I'm sorry Ms. Harrington but I'm afraid you cannot change my mind. I have given plenty chances in the past and they have all gone in vain. The company will no longer give a job to those who are inexperienced." he replied standing. I fought hard to contain my growls but quickly composed myself. I stood and nodded my head.

"I understand Mr. Parker, but please, let me know if you change your mind." I sighed shaking his hand and then left. The day just keeps getting better and better, hope you noted the sarcasm.

I left the building, stepping unto the busy sidewalk where I was almost run over by a boy on a skateboard. I yelled after him, ignoring the stares of passersby who looked at me with distaste. Pushing stray hair tendrils behind my ear and fixing my skirt, I stopped a cab and made him take me to my dad, at work.

:*:*:*:*:*:*:*:

"Katherine!" Carleen grinned as soon as she saw me walk down the entryway towards her desk. Carleen Bennett was my dad's secretary who's place was right outside his office.

"Hey." I smiled as I finally reached her and leaned against her desk, tapping my fingers against it's shiny surface.

"Well you look tired," she observed as I blinked slowly. Well she was right about that. I was absolutely exhausted. I had been to four interviews today and was turned down four times! I mean, if everyone wanted experienced people to do their jobs then what was gonna happen when all the inexperienced people left school and started looking for jobs? Didn't they think about that? Ugh!! The greedy bastards!!

"Yeah, I have been around." I replied shortly before getting to the meat of the matter. Is my dad in?"

"Yeah, but he's a bit busy today. He's been getting a lot of clients today and he'll be seeing the mid-level manager of the Remora house in ten minutes." she replied making me frown. I was really looking forward to talking to dad after such a day. He always had some great advice which always got me into or out of stuff so you can just imagine my disappointment even though I could just talk to him when we were both at home. Carleen seemed to pick up on my mood change because she immediately gave a sympathetic look and gave me the okay to go in until the manager came.

"Thanks Car. I'll just be a few minutes." I smiled before entering dad's office. He looked up as soon as I walked in.

"Oh! Honey, what are you doing here?" he asked surprised. I groaned and flopped down into the chair opposite him.