Chapter 44 • After Effects

"So how long will we have to wait for this client?" I asked from across the very pleasantly dressed "high" table of the restaurant.

...Very lame joke... I know... so moving on...

"She's not all that important, but what are you eating?" he replied, quickly taking up the menu and pretending to look through it. I know this because no one can read that fast.

"Did you just say she's not all that important?" I rose an eyebrow, confused for a bit, but then he didn't answer so I knew that he had.

I glowered at him.

"Riddian, it is past eleven-- at night, and you have me out here unwilling, waiting for a not-all-that-important lady?"

He rolled his eyes, only pushing my menu closer to me.

"What are you eating?" he repeated, and I almost snapped.

"Are you seriously just going to-"

"I'm thinking about the strip steak..."

"Riddian-"

"Strip steak? I really don't know," I heard him say to himself and I had to fight the urge to not throw my fork at him. Instead, I bit my lip and made the wise decision of picking up the stupid menu and then scanning through the numerous dish names.

After some time, Riddian, deciding that he had given me enough time to choose, asked again. I rolled my eyes and finally chose to answer.

"The Carter Drear Beef sounds ni-" I began answering when my eyes bulged and my lower jaw fell. "Is that the price?" I whisper-yelled as my eyes caught the figure beside it. I looked back at Riddian and he wasn't looking at me. He was completely unfazed by my dramatic display of broke-ness or just chose to ignore it. Even with two months of his very high pay, I wouldn't dream to spend so much on one dish!

"The Carter Drear Beef it is then," he murmured and then lowered his menu to ring a tiny bell on the table. I quickly slapped my hand over his, halting the chiming and with wide eyes, turned to my companion.

"What are you doing? I can't afford this!" I hissed at him, but it seemed at though I hadn't stopped his ringing in time as a waitress was beside us seconds later.

"Good evening, how can I help you sir, ma'am?" she nodded to both of us. I smiled nervously and withdrew my hand from Riddian's. He gave me a small side glance and then proceeded to tell the woman that I wanted the beef and some kind of chicken dish for himself. When the woman stepped away, I almost killed him.

"Did you not hear what I just said?" I asked. "I don't want the beef anymore, I'm no longer hungry!"

"You're not paying for the food Ms. Harrington, I am," he finally admitted.

My jaw dropped again, but closed slowly as he quickly added.

"It's a business meeting so of course I have too."

I looked at him suspiciously.

We were meeting a client so it was a business meeting... and rightfully, this is the company's expenses so I really shouldn't pay for it... but I don't know... something seemed unsettling about all this.

I hummed to myself and then prolonged out loud,

"Riiiight."

You know what, nevermind! There was no way I would be letting this opportunity go, so I shoved my menu into his face making him jump back a little. I started pointing all over the place at whichever dishes sounded tasty enough and then gave the brightest smile to my employer.