Chapter 52 • After Effects

I swallowed nervously, looking down and then looking up at him through my eyelashes.

Wait, what was the heck I doing?

I suddenly caught myself and looked up immediately. Me? Acting like this in front of him...again? Nope, not going to happen... But then again thoughts are only thoughts and I had to admit that as Riddian allowed his eyes to travel down my body with no shame at all, I felt a tinge of nervousness creeping up my spine as I wondered what he was thinking.

Like seriously, it wouldn't have been hard if he was like most males because immediately you would be thinking pervert. But this was him, Mr. Riddian Remora! And you can never guess what the man is thinking which is why he frustrates me so much!

The dress was bold red and almost velvety soft feeling, with an off the shoulder top and then an dip in the back which met for a close just above my waist. The dress also clung to me though. From my breast, to below my butt it was like a second skin, and then the rest fell down to my feet like a pool of blood with a split going down the left side from just above my knee, thankfully. Gold sandal heels accompanied the art work and my hair was done up in some kind of messy, floral side bun.

I watched him for the small amount of time that I was not talking to myself mentally. I don't know what I noticed but I know there was something in his eyes. It was something like a...like a...well I don't know like what but...

"Ms. Harrington," Riddian spoke bringing me back to the present.

"Huh?" I asked still a little dazed when he nodded down to his outstretched arm.

"Oh!" I replied sheepishly, about to take it, but then I remembered his rules and started wondering if this was some kind of test. It wouldn't be fun to break his rules when he initiated it now would it? 

Riddian must have picked up on this thought since he rolled his eyes and reached the extra way to grab a hold of my hand before escorting me towards the staircase. As we walked down, the band that had stopped playing their music started up again and even though some eyes were still on us, the majority returned to their previous conversations and only gave us small glances from time to time.

I let out a breath of relief as soon as I reached the bottom of the staircase but almost lost it when I heard Riddian mutter a, "Breathe Ms. Harrington, I know you aren't used to the attention but at least try to pretend to fit in."

I almost stomped on his foot, but refrained from doing such since that would probably only prove his point even more. That gesture up the stairs must have only been a show for all these people. He probably just didn't want to look bad, I thought bitterly, wondering why I was unconsciously expecting more.

The past month really messed me up. What I failed to keep in mind however was that all the kindness and realness he had shown me happened when we were alone. Now we were in the presence of business associates and his kind of people. It was all about reputation and money...

Riddian cleared a path through the crowd of people for us and like a good little date I smiled and said hello to the people he did. As we walked however, even though my cheeks ached from all the smiling after a while, I was still happy that I got to have a good look at the place.

The entire ballroom was decorated with beautiful gold and white draperies. Since the ballroom was huge, the set up was that the room was split in two. At the side of the room opposing the staircase, there were about six steps leading to a small platform which then held a door that must naturally lead somewhere into the house. Above the door was a large red banner saying ''GiFTIN Ball 2011" the rightful name for what we had been referring to as charity ball for half a month.