40 - goodbyes

Harry

A loud bang is what made me jerk out of bed, only to notice the missing spot next to me, where Millie should be.

"No, no, no, no." I mumbled, body trembling and confusion spread in my mind. I raced out of bed and into the living room, to see my friends wide awake, cluelessly looking at each other, probably woken up by the same loud noise I heard.

A gunshot.

"Where's Millie?" Gina pressed and her eyes were getting watery, and I just stood there expressionless. "She's not here." I mumbled and then fear started to overtook my feelings. "SHE IS NOT HERE." I yelled and ran out of the apartment, my friends following me quickly, calling out my name.

I blocked everything out, my mind clouded and my vision blurry, due to the tears that were forming in my eyes. Why did she have to go there? Why did she have to do this? My whole body felt numb and out of control, as I wasn't even in my own body. I took the steps quickly and almost tripped, but got a hold of the wall and jumped over the last five stairs. A pain shot through my leg, because I landed on the hard floor, but I ignored it and started running to Millie's flat, that's when my friends reached me.

"MILLIE." I yelled and roughly knocked on the door, turning the door knob over and over as if it would change anything. "MILLIE OPEN THE DOOR, PLEASE OPEN THE GOD DAMN FUCKING DOOR." I cried out, loud sobs escaping my mouth as fear overtook me completely when I got no reaction.

"Harry." David tried to push me away, but I grabbed his shoulder and threw him on the ground without using any strength. They all just watched me, knocking and kicking the door like an insane psycho. A small crowd has already formed around me, all woken up by the gunshot. I didn't notice any faces, as I was yelling and kicking against the door, crying loudly.

"CALL AN FUCKING AMBULANCE YOU USELESS FUCKERS." I heard Gina yelling at someone, appreciating her, as she was the only one not standing there and watching me. I heard someone making a phone call, telling them the destination and what happened.

"MILLIE, PLEASE OPEN THE DOOR." I cried and felt my knuckles hurt, as a bit of blood was already escaping my open skin. I ignored the pain and went on knocking, kicking and screaming.

She couldn't have been shot. This could not have happened. It was all okay and behind these door was Millie, alive and happy to see me. She would smile and hug me, kissing my cheek and reassuring me that she was okay. She could not be hurt and she wasn't.

I told myself some soothing and calming words, as I still went on to be a psychopath.

"Harry, police will arrive anytime soon." An elderly lady spoke next to me, I recognised as Mrs. Richards. She lived one the first floor and she patted my shoulder, trying to get me away from the door, but I wriggled out of her grasp and went on knocking and kicking, bumping my shoulder harshly against the door, but it was no use.

It was no fucking use.

I wiped my tears away and turned around, to see everyone watching me with worried expressions, some crying and some being comforted by other ones.

"Can somebody please help me?" I cried out, my upper lip trembling and looking at everyone separately, waiting for an reaction. "Please, somebody help me." I raised my voice and that's when an older man, around forty, finally took a step forward and nodded. "Come on." he ushered me to the door again and we both turned out shoulders, facing each other, and quickly counting to three.

The first time we bumped into the door, nothing happened, but we kept on trying, always counting to three and running to the door. After the fourth time, I heard a crack noise and I raised my eyebrows, as well as the man helping me, a small smile escaping his lips. We counted another time and I used all my strength and force, ran towards the door and made a light jump. When my shoulder hit the door, it cracked open and the door flew out of its hinges, smashing on the floor.