Chapter 5: Summerween (Part 2)

-- Time Skip (Later That Night)--

I was sitting on my bed, reading my journal to keep myself occupied. Mabel had already gone downstairs to meet Candy and Grenda at the door. Y/n was still in the room. She was in her section of the room with the curtain closed, she was changing into her Halloween costume.

When she emerged for behind the curtain, I couldn't help but look up from my journal. I wasn't lying when I said she looked amazing earlier... I mean... she always looks amazing... she just-

I was pulled from my thoughts by a hand waving in front of my face.

"DIIIPPPER? You there?" Y/n laughed.

"Haha, sorry, guess I got lost in thought," I replied.

"Guess so," she smiled. "Okay, what is going on with you?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, a couple hours ago, you were so excited to go out trick-or-treating...and now...you're not even in your costume."

"Well I was thinking that maybe I might just not go out this year," I said slowly.

"Aww, what? I'll be right back; I'm sure Mabel can change your mind!" Y/n slid off the bed and left the room.

When I caught up to her, she was already walking down the stairs, her black boots making a tapping noise on each step.

"Mabel! You've gotta talk to Dipper. He doesn't want to go out trick-or-treating anymore," Y/n explained, sounding slightly upset.

"What the hey-hey bro-bro, where's your costume?" Mabel demanded.

"Look, I can't go trick-or-treating. I'm..uh, really sick," I coughed. "Must have been that bad candy. Go on without me."

"Fight through it, man! Where's your Summerween spirit?" Mabel encouraged.

Just then, there was a knock on the door. I walked over and opened the door, happy to get away from the conversation.

I opened the door to see a tall man in a costume that resembled a scarecrow. His face was covered by a small, green mask. "Trick-or-treat," he whispered eerily.

I noted that the man was way passed the age to be trick-or-treating. "Dude, really? You're a little old for this, man. Sorry."

"But wait, I-" he pleaded, before I slammed the door.

"Why'd you close the door?" Mabel demanded.

"I told you, Mabel, I'm just not feeling it tonight," I replied, letting out a small cough.

There was another knock on the door.

I opened the door again to see the same man. "Look man, just go to another house!" I said, slamming the door for the second time.

"Dipper! Where's your Summerween hospitality?" Mabel asked with frustration in her voice.

There was a knock on the door for the third time.

"I'm not getting that," I retorted.

"Well I am!" Mabel exclaimed, opening the door. "I apologize for my brother, he came down with a case of the grumpy-grumps," she said to the man.

"SILENCE!" the man bellowed angrily. "You have insulted me! For this you must pay...with your LIVES."

"Aww, what a cute little mask! You're a funny guy, aren't you?" Mabel asked cheerfully.

The man pulled himself into the shack. "Funny, am I?" he mused. He reached behind him and picked up a nearby trick-or-treater and casually threw him into his mouth. The boy screamed. Me, Mabel, Y/n, Candy and Grenda screamed in response.

"There's only one way for you to avoid his fate," The monster stepped closer. Y/n clutched my arm. "I need a treat. If you can collect 500 pieces of candy, and bring it to me before the last jack-o-melon goes out... I will let you live."

"Five hundred treats in one night? That's impossible!" I argued.

"The choice is yours, children. You must trick-or-treat... Or DIE," The monster laughed maniacally. He backed away and climbed across the roof until he was out of sight, leaving the 5 of us in shock.

"Who was that guy?" Candy murmured.

"The Summerween Trickster. I thought it was just a legend but..." Y/n faded out.

As if on cue, Soos came out of the shack to confirm the legend. " What's goin' on out here, dudes?"

"Soos, a monster is making us trick-or-treat or else he's gonna eat us!" I gulped.

Candy showed Soos a picture of the Trickster on her phone.

"The Summerween Trickster! Oh man, dude, you guys are in crazy bonkers trouble," he noted.

"Listen up, people. Now some might say that being cursed by a blood-thirsty holiday monster is a bad thing," Mabel started. "But that monster messed with the wrong crew. With all of our talents, we'll get 500 pieces of candy and have fun doing it too, even if it takes all night!"

Everyone cheered. Well, everyone except me. It wasn't that I didn't want to go trick-or-treating... I just didn't want to seem like a kid in front of Wendy. I mean, she invited me so it just seems like I should go to the party.

Even with my hesitance, I still hit the streets with Mabel, Y/n, Soos, Candy and Grenda because if we got 500 pieces of candy quick enough, I would probably still have time for the party.

The first house we went to was Lazy Susan's, the waitress at the local diner. When we got there she was dishing out large handfuls of candy to the trick-or-treaters. We walked up to her door and Y/n rang the doorbell. She opened the door wearing a yarn costume.

She examined our costumes, smiling and nodding. Then, she looked at me and frowned. "What are you supposed to be?"

"Uh, actually, I'm not dressed up as anything," I explained quickly. "We're kinda in a hurry, here."

"Oh. I see," she muttered. She reached into her candy bag and gave everyone a single piece of candy. Except me, I got nothing.

"Five pieces of candy?! This is gonna take forever!" I complained, throwing my hands up in frustration.

"We've gotta up our game, Dipper. You gotta put on your costume," Mabel instructed me.

"I told you, I'm not up to it, Mabel!" I coughed.

Y/n walked over to me and stood close. Her fiery eyes stared into mine. "Come 'on, Dipper, it's not like we have much of a choice here. If we don't get the candy, that monster is gonna eat us. Tell you what, if you put on your costume... I'll... do something for you."

"Like what?" I asked curiously.

"I don't know," she replied. "You choose."

I thought for a moment, then decided. "Okay. I'll get in my costume."

The six of us ran home so I could get changed. Y/n, Soos, Candy and Grenda were waiting downstairs by the door while I got changed. Mabel was waiting outside our room door.

"So, what are you gonna ask Y/n for?" Mabel asked mischievously. "A kiss?"

"What? No!" I insisted as I put on my peanut butter costume.

"Aw, why not? It would be all romantic and stuff!" she yelled through the door.

I put on my peanut hat. "I don't even know if she likes me, asking her to kiss me would make things awkward," I said, opening the door. "Plus, I already have something else in mind."

We walked down the stairs and met up with the rest of the group. We started to make our trick-or-treating rounds through the town.