Chapter 10: Lightning Strikes (Part 2)

We found ourselves on a long walk that took us to the Gravity Falls lake. We sat on the end of the dock, our shoes off and our feet hanging off the dock, lightly submerged in the lake. The water was like glass, the only ripples being caused by our feet. The sun had fallen behind the treeline and the town was now being lit by the full moon above.

"So," Dipper began, "what's been going on with you lately? And don't say it's nothing."

I sighed and looked toward the treeline, not wanting to make eye contact. "It's Bill. The night after Mabel's puppet show, he visited me in my dreams, but it's not what you think." I wrung my hands and took a deep breath. "He was trying to warn me."

I turned to him and immediately saw the concern in his eyes. I could tell he was trying to hide his anger towards Bill and show sympathy for me instead. "Warn you about what?"

"I'm not sure exactly; he couldn't tell me... I just know that something terrible is going to happen to me," I breathed. "And the only way to stop it is to join Bill."

"What?!" he yelled, losing his temper. "He's lying, he has to be!"

"Dipper..." I hesitated. I grabbed his hand to try and calm him down. "I trust him. I know he wasn't lying."

Dipper yanked his hand away and stood up in fury. "You trust him? After everything he's done? He invaded Stan's mind, he took over my body, he's lied to you about his true identity for pretty much your entire life and you trust him?!"

I stood up and sighed. I had so many thoughts, but I couldn't materialize them all into words. "I don't expect you to understand, but-"

"You're right, I don't understand," he interrupted. "Do you like him or something? Is that what this is?"

"No!" I yelled in defense. "But he was my best friend for years and-"

"He's a bad guy, Y/n! The fact that you thought you knew him doesn't change that!" Dipper's face was red and his muscles were tense. "How can you be so oblivious? Honestly, I can't believe that you'd be stupid enough to trust him!"

Trying to maintain my composure, I took a deep breath, turned away and walked back off the dock.

I could feel Dipper's eyes watching me as I walked away. "Where are you going?" he pleaded.

"Don't follow me," I retorted, not looking back.

I looked towards the Gravity Fall forest, then to the road that led back to town, then back to the forest. Probably not my smartest decision, but I wanted to be away from people, especially Dipper, and nature always calmed me down, so I headed into the woods. I could still feel Dipper staring at me, but at least he couldn't follow me as easily in the woods as he could on the road back to town.

I was quickly surrounded by bushes and tall trees. The further I went in, the thicker the forest became, and the less moonlight was able to peak through the tree canopy. Crickets were chirping, and the occasional hoot of an owl could be heard.

I could feel a slight pang of uneasiness in my stomach, surely from walking in unknown territory in the dark. Humans are naturally wired to be afraid of what the darkness can hide, but this fear was greatly overpowered by my emotions. I was feeling very overwhelmed. With everything going on, I really needed Dipper's trust and support, not for him to tell me I was being stupid.

I also had this powerful sense that I was doing the right thing. A comfortable warmth was growing in my chest. With every step I took, I felt better, like I was going in the right direction.