Chapter 8: Into the Bunker (Part 2)

We picked ourselves up off the ground and cheered at our success.

"That was awesome!" Y/n smiled as tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. "And check out this surveillance room!" she said, observing the computers, dials, switched and other things surrounding us.

From behind me, I heard Mabel say, "Hey bro, you forgot your vest."

I kept my eyes on Y/n who was running her fingers through the switches. After briefly checking out some beakers on the shelf, she stepped in what looked to be some sort of metal closet.

"OHMYGOSH! Hey, Dipper! Look what I found..." Mabel gasped, drawing my attention to her.

I spun around and saw that she had retrieved my vest. I took it from her and was about to say thank you when I noticed a paper in her hand. I knew exactly what it was, my little speech that I had made yesterday to tell Y/n I liked her. I was too scared to do it, so I had just crumpled it up in my vest. I knew I should have taken it out.

"Give me that!" I demanded, snatching it out of her hands and hiding it back in my vest.

"I knew it! I knew it! I knew it! You're not over Y/n at all! And you were gonna tell her today?!"

"No, I changed my mind; it's a bad idea. I'd just embarrass myself and ruin our friendship."

"Dipper, you should just tell her already. One way or another, you'll feel better afterwards."

"Look, Mabel, I can't tell her no matter how much I want to, so just drop it OK?" I looked over at Y/n and decided I'd had enough of this conversation. "This never happened," I said, then turned and joined Y/n by the metal closet thing.

I wish Mabel would just leave me alone about Y/n. I just can't tell her. I can't. It'd just ruin everything between me and her. Why can't Mabel understand that? I knew this wouldn't be the last I'd hear about it from her, but hopefully I could get through the rest of this mystery hunt without Mabel bothering me.

Once I was standing by the closet, I heard Mabel run up behind me. She placed her hands on my shoulders and said, "Brother, whatever happens I just you need to know something: this is for your own good."

"What?" I asked, confused.

And with that, Mabel shoved me into the closet with Y/n and slammed the door behind me.. Of course, Mabel would pull something like this! She can be so infuriating sometimes. I picked myself up and found myself eye to eye with Y/n. There was barely and room between us. I felt a heat grow on my cheeks. With any luck, Y/n couldn't tell that I was blushing in the darkness of the closet.

I turned and began rapidly pounding on the door. "MABEL! Let us out!"

"Oh, I'll let you out Dipper, as soon as you tell Y/n that thing you've been wanting to tell her! You'll thank me for this later!" Mabel said in a sing-song tone from the other side of the metal door.

"Tell me what?" Y/n asked curiously.

"Nothing!" I lied. "Mabel's just been eating raw sugar packets again."

"That's besides the point!" Mabel defended herself from the other side of the door.

I pounded on the door again. "Let us out RIGHT NOW!"

"Where are the lights in here?" Y/n speculated as she pulled down a cord.

Water gushed down on us, like we were in a shower. Suddenly, a blast of hot air pushed us against each other. We both stepped back, just as a tone sounded. The closet was illuminated red as a sign flashed "Decontamination Complete". A set of doors opened behind Y/n, revealing a wrecked underground room. The place was dimly lit, but I could still see fine. Scrap metal was laid carelessly on the ground. The broken chamber and cage were particularly eye catching. I wondered what kind of creature was strong enough to break them. We both stepped out of the closet, er, decontamination chamber.