Chapter 9: Sock Opera (Part 2)

The next week was overtaken by puppet-making for Mabel's puppet show. Wendy, Soos, Candy and Grenda came over everyday to sew and stitch puppets, make props and develop the storyline for Mabel's puppet show. My hands were sore from all the puppet making, and Dipper had had many mishaps with the sewing machine the past week. Considering this puppet show was made in a week, it was coming together pretty nicely.

Even with all the puppet show chaos, Dipper and I had managed to make time to try and crack the computer. During the day, we'd make puppets and at night, we'd slave away at the computer. Neither Dipper nor I had gotten much sleep, but who needs sleep anyways? Gosh, I'm so tired. But hey, at least Dipper and I are suffering from sleep deprivation together, so it's kind of romantic... minus the suffering and sleep deprivation part.

Dipper, Mabel, Wendy, Soos and I had dedicated this day to finishing up the puppet show, since the performance was tomorrow. We were all sitting in the living room stitching puppets and gluing on googly eyes.

"Alright. This is gonna be called Glove Story: A Sock Opera," Mabel announced. "Just to warn you, people's eyes will get wet. Cause they'll be crying. From laughter! From how tragic it is."

Admittedly, I was looking forward to this play. After putting all this work into it and knowing Mabel, I'm sure it will be eccentric and VERY dramatic. However, I could tell Dipper was just looking forward to getting the play over with. He was happy to see Mabel happy, but he was so desperate to crack the computer. I wanted to crack it too, but I also enjoyed taking part in Mabel's creativity.

"Yeah, um. That's sounds great," Dipper stated as he tried to pull of a sock puppet that was glued to his face.

"Come on, Dipper, you gotta roll with Mabel's craziness. It's what makes life worth living," Wendy smiled.

Daylight quickly faded away. Mabel settled herself in her bed, surrounding herself with her puppets. Dipper and I had already gotten into place on his bed trying to crack the laptop. We'd confined ourselves in a mess of papers and cryptology books as we racked our brains for the password, but to no avail.

My thoughts were so jumbled and I let my frustration escape me. "Ugh," I complained, falling back on the bed. "I feel like we'll never figure this out."

Dipper typed in another password for what felt like the trillionth time and, unsurprisingly, the computer beeped. "Ugh, wrong password, WRONG, WRONG! UGH!" he collapsed on the bed beside me.

"Don't stay up all night, guys," Mabel insisted. "Last time Dipper got this sleep-deprived, he tried to eat his own shirt."

I tilted my head towards Dipper who was sucking on his shirt. I sat up and turned to Mabel. "Don't worry, Mabel. We'll go to bed soon."

"Pleh," Dipper mumbled, spitting out his shirt. "Just a few more tries..."

After Mabel fell asleep, a few more tries turned into a few hundred more tries. We had gone out onto the roof in hopes that a change of surroundings would enlighten us. It didn't.

We were both sitting on the roof, our legs dangling over the edge. The laptop rested on Dippers lap. He typed in a password and the computer beeped.

"That sound is driving me insane!" I complained.

"There has to be some shortcut or clue," Dipper thought out loud. "Who would know about secret codes?"

A breeze blew by and the unsettling feeling that I got at he library returned. The wind continued, so Dipper and I stood up to analyze our surroundings.

Suddenly, a chilling, blue light shone down on us from above. We spun around to witness the full moon morph into a giant, silted eyeball. Glowing blue blocks formed into a triangle. Blue lightening erupted from the triangle and the world turned to greyscale. Before us floated Bill Cipher, causing me to be filled with mixed emotions.