Chapter 11: Society of The Blind Eye (Part 2)

With Soos's help, we had made it to the Gravity Falls Dump and Wendy had tagged along for the ride. On the way here, both Soos and Wendy said something was different about me, but that they couldn't quite place it. Knowing fully well that they must've been referring to the energy Dipper told me he could feel radiating off me since last night's incident, I quickly diverted their attention back to finding McGucket.

It looked exactly like you'd imagine a dump to look like. And in the center of it, McGucket had built himself a hovel out of rusted metal sheets and other trash. Upon seeing us, he invited us into his trash home.

He walked with his usual slouch, allowing his beard to drag on the ground as he led us inside.

His house, if you could call it that, was surprisingly roomy, even though McGucket had filled most of the space with random objects, like bathtubs and wagon wheels. All of us could fit inside.

"How nice to have visitors!" he exclaimed, his eyes wide and crazy, matching his personality. "Pull up some rusty metal and take a seat!"

Dipper was not having it; he wasted no time getting to the point. His stance was tense and his arms were crossed. "You can drop the act, McGucket. I know you're the author. You studied the mysteries of this town and wrote this book," Dipper affirmed, pulling Journal 3 out of his blue vest and holding it up for McGucket to see.

"Dude, you're the genius Dipper and Y/n have been searching for all summer!" Wendy added in a serious tone, pulling the crushed laptop out of Soos's backpack to provide further evidence.

"Uh, genius?" McGucket pondered, confusion plastered on his face. He tilted his head in shame, his worn scarecrow hat slipping slightly. "I'm no genius. I've never done nothin' worthwhile in my life. Everyone knows I'm no good to nobody." He glanced up at a news article pinned up on his wall that read "LOCAL COOT CONTINUES DOWNWARD SIDE" with a picture of himself below the text and let out a regretful sigh. "I can't remember what I used to be, but I must've been a big failure to end up like this."

"What about this book? Are you sure you didn't write it? Here, look closely." Desperation reeked from Dipper's tone as he flipped through the journal pages, hoping to trigger something in McGucket's mind.

"I told you, I don't recall. Everything before 1982 is just a blur. Just a hazy..." The journal flipped to a page entitled "The Blind Eye", with an image of an eye crossed with a red X bellow it and that image reflected in Old Man McGucket's irises. "The Blind Eye! Robes, the men, my mind! They did something!" McGucket shrieked, falling backwards into a pile of trash.

"Who did?" Dipper asked earnestly, closing the journal.

"I... oh, I don't recall." He rubbed his forehead.

Mabel frowned. "Oh, you poor old man! No wonder your mind's all..." Mabel stuck out her tongue and made farting noises. "You've been through something intense."

"What if... what if McGucket learned something he wasn't supposed to, so someone-or something- screwed with his mind he to keep him quiet?" I proposed, resting my hands on my hips.

"I think you're on to something," Dipper agreed, then turned to McGucket. "Think. What is the earliest thing you can remember?"

"Uh, this is, I think." McGucket glanced at another news article and pulled it off the wall and held it up for us to see. This articled was entitled "DISOREINTED MAN FOUND AT MUSEUM" and featured yet another photo of McGucket.

"The history museum!" Wendy blurted.

"Then that's where we're going." Dipper smiled proudly.

--Time Skip—