15

Jacob was ready to come home. Or at least he said he was ready to come home. Jacob had been at the rehab center for 6 months now and he was doing great.

I talked to the professionals at the rehab center and they recommended that Jacob be brought home. Just told me to
keep a close eye on him and try to establish positive things in his life. I honestly couldn't have been more excited. It looked like things were starting to finally get better.

God, I hope this was the right decision.

I know I said I was going to try to get the girls up there to see him but I decided against that. They only had good memories with him. I don't want them to remember him in a place like that.

"You ok?" I turned down the music and asked Jacob. I had picked him up from the rehab center and we were on our way back to the house. I had a little surprise party planned for him. It want anything big. The only people there would be: me, Callie, Baja, and Elijah.

"Yes, just happy to be coming home. I can't wait to see the girls, Chresanto. I've missed them so much." He said, looking over at me and smiling.

"They've missed you too. I know they wanna see you, too baby." I froze after I said that. We hadn't really crossed that line again. Our relationship was strictly platonic, it was like we were friends. Not husbands. And, if that was what he needed right now, then that was what I would be.

"Your such a good man, Chres. I love you so much." He whispered, then looked out the window. "I know , that I've put you through so much and-"

"Today's a good day, Jacob. We can talk about this later, yeah?" I interrupted.

He didn't answer, just have me a smile and nodded his head.

We finally arrived at the gates to our house and I typed in the security code to open them. I pulled in and got out. Then walked over to Jacob's side and opened the door for him.

"Thank you." He said and made his way up the steps. I stepped around him and unlocked the door.

"SURPRISE!" Callie, Baja and Elijah yelled standing in the foyer.

Jacob was a blubbering mess of laughter and tears

Jacob was a blubbering mess of laughter and tears. He sprinted over to Callie and Baja and got down on his knees to hug them.

"Oh babies! Your so pretty. Just look at you guys. I missed you guys so much." He said rubbing their hair.

I could see Callie starting to squirm under his touch.

I knew they knew who Jacob was. But they hadn't seen him in 2 and a half years. All they knew was that he was their daddy and he had gone away for a really long time. I had told them that we were throwing a party and Elijah had let the. get all dressed up for it.

"Jacob lets go eat. I bet the girls are hungry, right y'all?" I said looking at the girls. Jack released them from his hug and they nodded their heads.

The girls turned around and prepared to run to the kitchen but was stopped by Elijah. "Now I know y'all was going to wash your hands first." He said, looks at them sternly.

Baja said," Oh yeah, that!" Elijah just shook his head at them then sent them upstairs.

"Who are you?" Jacob said to Elijah.

Oop. I forgot about that. I hired Elijah after Jacob took off the last time. They had never met. Welp no time like the present. 

"Hi, Jacob. I'm Elijah, the girls nanny." He held his hand out for Jacob to shake.

"You work for us?" Jacob said, not shaking Elijah's hand.  Elijah put his hand down and nodded his head, unsure of where he was going with this. As was I.

"You can call me Mr. August, then." Jacob said.

Elijah just nodded his head and made his way into the kitchen.

Before Jacob  could make his way into the kitchen as well, o grabbed his arm pulling him back. "What was that?" I asked him.

"He's acting like he's their parent not their nanny." He said looking at me like I betrayed him or something.

"He practically is a parent figure to them. You weren't here and I was working, Jake. They needed someone. He was that someone. He picked up the slack and made sure our girls were ok. He goes above and beyond for them. We owe him." I said looking him in his eye.

He looked at me with tears in his eyes and said," Is that it? He just cares for the girls?"

I sighed and looked away. I didn't want to answer. I couldn't answer him.

"Wow, screwing the nanny, huh? Could you be anymore cliche?" He said  wiping tears from his eyes and looking at me.

"We're done, Eli!" I heard Callie say then I heard the sound of two pairs of feet running down the stairs.

Elijah came out of the kitchen and waited for them. I followed them into the kitchen and felt Jacob behind me.

I guess we'll talk about it later' I thought.