32

*****last chapter 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Daddy, when's mama coming home?" Baja asks me.

I stop flipping the pancake and turn off the stove. Elijah and I make eye contact, I assume he's thinking the same thing I am.

"Remember we talked about this, Baja. Mama will be back soon." I say, turning to look at Baja and Callie.

"Yeah, but when? He's been gone a loooooooong time." Callie says, drawing out the o in long.

"Girls, Your dad and I have a surprise for you." Elijah says, turning the subject.

I smile at him gratefully, then continue making breakfast.

The truth was, I didn't know the answer to their question on when Jacob was coming home.

The morning after the family dinner, I woke up to find Jacob and some of his clothes gone.

And that was two months ago. I haven't seen or heard from him since. He hasn't called to check on Callie and Baja at all.

My first instinct was to go and look for him. Then, drag him back home. And then I realized something.

Jacob was a grown ass man.

He could make decisions on his own and he knew that he had responsibilities.

So, I tried to continue on like normal for the girls, but they noticed Jacob wasn't here. And, I called Elijah to see if he would come back.

"Chresanto, come on. The girls wanna see their surprise." Elijah, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"What about the pancakes?" I say, putting them all on a plate.

"We'll eat them when we come back inside. Now, come on." Elijah says, grabbing the girl's hands and leading them outside.

"What is it, Eli?! What did you get us?!" Baja yells.

"Baja August, you won't be getting anything if you don't lower your voice." I say, exiting the house after them.

Callie shushes Baja and looks up at Elijah and me.

"Ready, girls?" Elijah says. "Close your eyes."

They both nod and close their eyes.

I meet Craig halfway and take both of the puppies out of his hands.

I walk back towards the girls and one of the puppies bark.

Callie and Baja's eyes shoot open and joy enters their big, brown eyes. They grab the puppies from my arms and began to play with them.

"Thanks, daddy." Callie says, while cradling her puppy to her.

Baja is too busy running with her puppy.

"I'll give them the 'responsibility' speech later." Elijah says.

We both lean on the hood of my car while, Callie and Baja play with the puppies.

"Yeah, I guess I'm going to have to pay you extra because you and I both know you are going to be taking care of those dogs." I say, with a laugh.

"Uhhh, I know. Why'd you have to get two? Why not just one?" Elijah whines.

I continue to laugh and look at the girls.

"Thanks for coming back. You didn't have to. You probably had a life and other stuff going on." I say, on a more serious note.

"Those little girls became a part of me. I will always come if they need me." Elijah says. "And plus, you pay really well."

I give him a look while Elijah laughs.

"What if he never comes back? What will you tell the girls?" Elijah asks me.

"I don't know." I say, honestly. "I'm having a lawyer draw up divorce papers, so we'll see where that goes."

Jacob chose another man and drugs over me. And our two children.

I am done. And it's sad because I always thought I would be with him For Better or For Worse. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------