16

"Girls sit down and I'll get your plates ready." Elijah told the girls, as we all entered the kitchen.

"I can do it." Jacob spoke up. I just shook my head and sat down at the dining room table.

Elijah paused in getting the plates out of the cupboard and looked back at Jacob.
"Yeah, yeah sure go ahead." He set the plates on the counter and moves out of the way.

Jacob moves to the pots and looks inside. "Who made this and what is it?" Jacob says.

I looked over at Elijah and could tell he was confused on why Jacob kept making little snarky comments.

"Jacob. Please just sit down and let Elijah do his job. It's his job to take care of the girls." I told Jacob, moving from the dining room to the kitchen. Elijah left out of the kitchen, and went to the dining room with the girls.

"Yeah, we kinda don't need him anymore, right? I'm back now."he says while fixing the girls some of the broccoli, rice, and cheese casserole Elijah made. Then he opened the oven and took out a roll and set on the girls plate.

"Jacob,  I'm not firing Elijah

"Jacob, I'm not firing Elijah. I hate to say this to you but your only 6 months sober. The girls haven't really seen you in two years. I don't wanna just take them away from their normal schedules. And sometimes you get bad headaches and can get irritated easily. Let's just take it slow ok? Let's focus on your sobriety, first."

Jacob just looked at me and nodded. He picked up the girls plates and took them to the dining room. I followed after I made my plate and his.

I sat down at the table next to Callie and across from Jacob. Elijah then got up to make his food. When he was finished, he came and sat back down and started eating.

Me, Jacob and Elijah didn't talk much. But Callie and Baja manages to carry the conversation.

Deciding to speak, I turned to Jacob and said," I get up every morning at 6 am, before I go into the office, and work out. Do you wanna come? I had a home gym installed in one of the rooms."

Jacob had gotten skinny and his skin was saggy in some places. At the rehab center, we had talked about him getting back into shape and exercising  more and eating well. Plus, it was a good one to take his mind off of drugs If he got the ice sometimes.

"Yeah, you can wake me up. I also wanna help the girls get ready for school."he said. I nodded my head. I hired a chauffeur to take him places he needed to go. He has his license suspended a while ago. And, I needed someone to keep and eye on him.

"Elijah usually gets them up around 7:15. Their school takes in at 8:30." I said causing Elijah to look at me and smile.

"Yeah, you can help me with the girls hair.  It takes a long time to do in the morning. And Chres can't do hair to save his life." He laughs. I also laugh at this.

"Daddy, after school can me and Callie, go to swimming in the pool?" Baja asks me.

"Baja, what did I say? No pool on school days and you know it." Elijah said to Baja.

"Why can't they use the pool during school days?" Jacob asks. "I don't see a problem with it."

Elijah looks at me as if to say ' What do I do?

Sighing I say," Well me and Elijah both don't think it's a good idea. They come home so their homework. Callie has piano lessons 4 days out of the week and Baja has tee-ball. No pool. Only on the weekends."

"Oh, ok." Jacob says and gets up with his plate and goes into the kitchen. By now the girls can feel the tension on the room.

"Maybe I should take a step back. He's back and obviously ready to be a parent again. I wouldn't wanna take that from anyone." Elijah says after we've sent the girls upstairs to get ready for bed.

"No, you've been a big help to this family. The girls need you. You mean a lot to -" I was cut off by the sound of glass breaking in the kitchen followed by a shout. I bolt up out of my seat and run into the kitchen.

Jacob was clutching his bleeding hand and one of the plates was broken into pieces on the floor.

"I'll go get the first aid kit." Elijah says and runs out of the kitchen.

"You ok, Jake?" I say leading him to the sink to wash off the blood.

"Yeah I'm just clumsy." He laughs but it doesn't reach his eyes.

------------------------------------------------

Thoughts?

Do you guys have iPhones? What do ya think of iOS 10? Cause I'm lovin it😂😂