17. LITTLE RESEARCH (edited)

Felix's POV

Few days later

I got up from my bed at six in the morning and quickly rushed down the steps to my kitchen. I stopped on my track as I saw Cindy in the kitchen, so much for trying to wake up before her.

Her back was facing me and she was giggling at something in her hand, it must have been her phone again.

"Cindy what are you doing?" I silently walked up behind Cindy and asked her. She quickly jumped up, hid the object behind her back and stared at me wide eyed.

"G— good morning Mr. Felix" She greeted me as though everything was fine but I said nothing. I silently looked at her, trying to figure her out and immediately I knew what it was.

"What are you hiding behind your back?" I asked her, my voice calm and steady.

"No its nothing sir, I was—"

"Don't you dare lie to me Cindy!" I lost my cool and yelled at her. Cindy slowly took her hand from her back and showed me her phone.

I was confused and wondering why Cindy would hide the phone when I already knew about.

"Cindy, I need to know who have you been talking to? Please don't make me ask you twice"

"Well he's just a friend" She answered.

"Wait Cindy, did you just say he?" I asked her, a thousand thoughts going through my mind about who this person could be.

"Well yes. He's very nice guy and-"

"What's his name?"

"His name is Rosh, sir" She answered. Anger boiled my blood so much that I was almost seeing red.

How could you Cindy? I thought you loved me! I foolishly thought to myself. How did I even get to the point of being in love with Cindy?

"What's his surname?" I calmly asked her and confusion swept over her face.

"I, I don't know sir" She answered.

"You don't know! You must be all sorts of stupid. You're seeing this guy and you don't even know his surname" I yelled at Cindy, losing my cool and not minding that I was losing it.

"But sir—"

"But nothing Cindy! Where does he work or does he even work if I may ask?" I asked more questions, mostly for my own selfish reasons.

"He does have a job. He works for the delivery company that brought the cloths the other day" Cindy answered.

Something about how her smile grew wide when she spoke about this person made me mad. I took a step back and turned away from her. I could not believe it, the girl I took into my home, gave her a job, the girl I love ... love. Where had that come from?

I calmly got myself together, took a deep breath in and exhaled and faced her again.

"Cindy, I don't want you seeing that boy again and I hope that I made myself clear?" I warned her. I saw a flash of something in her eyes, defiance almost. Tears formed in her eyes but she quickly disguised it, refusing to let those tears fall from her eyes.

That is my girl, always tough... always strong. I thought, I was proud of her strength.

"I'm sorry Mr. Felix, but I'm afraid I'm not going to do that". She stood firm and held her ground.

"So this boy—"

"Man! He is a man Mr. Felix, but I do not expect you to understand it. You see people like you spend their time in your ivory towers, fed with a silver spoon and often you never have to work a day in your life. There are people out there who work hard and things are not given to them!"

I stared at Cindy from head to toe; somewhere along the line, her cleavage caught my eye. Oh, how I would like to kiss her senseless but I quickly got that out of my mind.

"I'm repeating myself again and I hope you are get it through your head, you will not see that boy again"

I turned away from her and began climbing up the steps and the sound of glass caused me to pause. I turned around, at the foot of the step stood Cindy. Not far from me lay a broken glass.

"I hope you know that I'm taking that out of your wages?" I asked her. She said nothing but her cold eyes burnt into mine. A sigh escaped from my mouth, I was not ready for this at all.

"Cindy I know you probably think I'm some sort of monster, but I'm trying to protect you. You don't know how dangerous this city is" I tried to warn her but it seemed as though Cindy had her mind made up.

"He's just a guy, it's not like he's some criminal or something!" Cindy yelled at me but her yelling did nothing to me, I knew New York better than she did.

"How do you know that, since you're such an expert on character" I asked Cindy.

"What if I am an expert?" She answered me back.

"Then you wouldn't have been kidnapped or stuck here with me, with no form of identification except the one I made you!" That got to her. Tears spilled from her eyes like a flood. Her hands balled in a fist. That was it. I had lost her.

"Yeah you right, I'm terrible at judging people's character ...especially when trusting my best friend".

I watched as Cindy began walking away from me, I tried to open my mouth or hold her close to me but my body refused to obey me.

I am sorry Cindy, I am just trying to protect you and keep you close to me.

Three days later

Thumping my leg onto the floor only agitated me. I had arrived at work an hour earlier and since then, I could not get any work done and that was not good for me.

Cindy, what have you done to me? I asked myself mentally.

There was a knock on my door and I indicated for the person on the other side to come in. It was my PA at the door with brown envelope in her hand.

"Hello Mr. Felix, I got the information you needed" She made her way to my desk and handed me the brown envelope.

"Thanks"

Before opening the brown envelope, I looked up and my PA was still standing there.

"Is there anything that you need?" I asked her.

"No sir, Well there is something really. I hope you don't mind me asking, why do you need this specific information?" My PA asked me.

"Well I'm a lawyer and often I have to do this type of thing, wouldn't you agree?" I asked her.

"Oh! I am sorry then sir. Have a nice day sir, I hope you find what you're looking for?".

I watched as my PA exited my office, like a kid on Christmas day, I tore open the envelope and took out the file inside it. I quickly looked through it and there it was, as clear as daylight.

I got you now my friend