36. TRIAL BEGINS PART 2 (edited)

Cindy's POV

"Mrs. Martini, so I ask again, who was the person that purchased you?" 

"Mr. Kyle brought me to Mr. Felix's house on that fateful day." I responded calmly.

"Are you sure it was Mr. Kyle?"

"I don't think I'd forget the face of a man who clearly thought that I was no more important than a piece of art to be sold and used."

"How did you feel about Mr. Felix when you first met him?" I took a deep breath, exhaled, and composed myself.

"At first, if I'm honest, I didn't like him at all. I thought of him as the man who ruined my life."

"And your feelings for him now?"

"I'm married to him, and I guess you could say I love him. In fact, I love him with all of me."

The roaring from the crowd was heard loud enough to shatter one's eardrums.

"Order in the courtroom, I said order!'

The judge demanded from the crowd even though they calmed down, I could still hear the whispers. They thought of Felix as a monster and oversaw the wolves in sheep's clothing that were bathing in the glory of being praised as heroes.

"Cindy, we found documents with your picture and a different name; I think the name was-"

" Precious. I know, that's the name that I used."

"And why was that name changed?"

"Because it wasn't the name I was born with, Felix changed it."

"So, your captor had a change of heart?"

"No, my husband changed my name because he always had a heart, while my captor is sitting inside this very room with a lady that is trying to steal my husband away from me."

"And who, may I ask, is this lady?"

"Sharon, I assume that you know her... I don't doubt that many men know her in the biblical sense."

"Mrs. Martini, I suggest you watch how you speak in my court room."

The judge warned me, but that didn't scare me; I wanted to tell the truth after all.

The court proceedings went on and on. I was asked question after question until I couldn't answer any more.

Witnesses were brought up, such as neighbors, colleagues, and employees who have nothing but good to say about Felix. That didn't please the state prosecutors at all.

The judge had clearly had enough of all of this.

"The court proceedings are now at an end. The next scheduled date is 1 week from today, on the 13th of this month."

We all stood up from our chairs, and I watched them handcuff my husband and take him away.

*****

"Cindy, where are you going?" I turned to face my mother-in-law, who was still getting ready.

"I'm going to see my husband." Her face saddened as she walked towards me.

"My dear, we just came from the courtroom a few hours ago; I don't think it's good that you go and see him today... Have you been crying?" I was embarrassed to admit it, but I did.

"Yes, I cried a bit, but that's the last of my tears. I'm sick and tired of crying and doing nothing to get my husband out of that cell."

"But you are doing enough, my dear; you've got the best lawyers."