28. OLD FRIENDS (edited)

Felix's POV

Two weeks later

I sat at the table at a coffee shop facing the busy streets and traffic of New York City. I stared at my phone for a whole minute, waiting for Cindy to call.

I guess my patience paid off because she called.

"Hi Cindy, how are you?"

"My legs are paining; your mother has been dragging me from shop to shop"

"Well I'm sorry, did you get the wedding dress you wanted?"

"Yes I did and it's beautiful. I wanted the cheaper one though but your mother would not have it. Come to think of it I can't seem to find the coffee shop that you named"

I told her the name if the coffee shop that I was at and in less than ten minutes she arrived, walking through the door with four shopping bags in hand.

I stood up from the chair, kissed her on her cheeks and then pulled out a chair for her to sit on.

"Coffee"

"Oh yes please, I've been dying for a drink"

The waiter appeared, Cindy ordered her coffee and in less than five minutes, her coffee arrived.

"So how was shopping?"

"It was great" And she continued sipping on her coffee, for another whole minuet we sat in silence.

"Cindy I'm trying to make conversation here. You don't have to go ahead with the wedding, if you have had a change of heart, just tell me" She put down her coffee and looked me straight in the eyes.

"I'm sorry it's just that with all the planning, the dress, catering and—"

"Paparazzi, my mother, have I covered it all?" She smiled at me and honestly, that made me so happy.

"Not quite— You still need to fit your ring and so do I and your mom is a bit upset with you, because you and your friends missed your fitting appointment".

"Maybe you could—"

"No Felix, I won't speak to your mother on your behalf but you have another appointment in three days' time. Have you chosen your best men yet?"

I could not hide my anger and Cindy picked it up. For the past few days, Cindy and I have connected and for some weird reason we could notice each other's unease.

"What's wrong?"

"Kyle is going to be my best man" Her eyes widened in disbelief but she tried not to show it.

"Have you two made up already?" She asked me, the entire time she looked down at the table.

"Made up? After what Kyle did to you? No, never! My mom obviously doesn't know the situation between Kyle and myself so she appointed him"

"Couldn't you say no?"

"Cindy this is my mother we're talking about. You don't expect her to not find it strange that I had not chosen my best friend to be my best man?"

"Yeah I suppose. Your mom asked me about my brides maids"

I felt a pain in my heart that, I could not control myself. For the past few days, Cindy and I have been opening up to each other more and more and in our quiet times, we have shared a kiss or two— or more.

I had a family here in New York but Cindy had no body here and soon my family would become hers.

"And what did you say to her?"

"I smiled and I told her I have no family in New York City" I hope my mother did not press you for information, cause I know how she can be and you—"

"It's okay Felix, she didn't press on. She chose the bridesmaids for me"

"Your cousin Breyela and Sharon are my bridesmaids"

"And you don't like Sharon I presume"

"Felix I just can't stand her and she's dangerous. I know it sounds like I'm overreacting and all that but there's something about her that gives me chills"

"Okay I understand what you mean; I don't trust her at all but let's worry about the wedding— paparazzi"

"What?"

"There's a young man taking pictures of us right across the road and I think we should leave"

"Okay let's leave"

We both quickly grabbed our bags and left the coffee shop. We got into my car and before I could drive off, I turned and faced Cindy. Our eyes met and the butterflies in my stomach flew. I felt like a teenager on his first date.

I got closer to her and I lips locked right then and there I knew, I was right for her and she was right for me and whatever followed will just follow.

Sharon's POV

I unlocked my door and the person that I least wanted to see stood at my doorstep, Kyle.

"Good afternoon Sharon" He greeted me.

"What is so good about this afternoon you snake?"

"Wow is that how you greet all your guests" Kyle asked me, clearly still taking my foul mood a nothing other than a joke.

"Emphasis on Guests, you on the other hand are unwelcome here"

"Look, you need me and I need you"

"What's your plan?"

"If you let me in, I'll tell you all about it".

I moved away from my door to allow him in and he walked past me and made himself at home on my couch.

"Hurry up cause you've got five minutes"

"Aren't you going to offer me a drink?"

"Well I could always offer you poison, but going to jail for your useless ass isn't worth it"

"Sharon, Sharon always so spicy. I heard you're Cindy's bridesmaid"

"I heard you're Felix's best man, funny considering the fact that you two don't seem to be Seeing Eye to eye. Are you two brawling over Cindy?"

"As if I would ever go out with that slave!" Kyle spat out, causing me to raise my eyebrow.

"Slave? That is a first, you usually use names such as bitch or whore. What do you really want Kyle?"

"I want my friend back"

"Oh bro-mance. I see"

"It's not a joke dammit!"

"Then what is it Kyle?"

"It's simple; it's their wedding in two weeks' time. You want Felix and I want Cindy out if the way".

"We're not going to kill anyone because last time we tried—"

"This is not like last time! We are just going to make sure that there is no wedding and nobody has to die"

"I don't know about this Kyle"

"Oh come on Sharon don't you want Felix back?"

"I do want him back, but it didn't work out last time"

"That's because you let greed get the better of you! I mean come on you were on your way to riches until you went off the tracks and married some old fart that left you with nothing. Look here, you have a second chance here and I'm willing to help you"

"What's in it for you besides getting Cindy out of the way? A man like you must seriously have his Ts &Cs applied?"

"I made a couple of investments that—"

"Let me guess it blew up in your face, like always" The muscles in Kyle's face began to clinch and I knew that I pushed him to the edge.

"I'll call you and we'll make a plan from there onwards. Have a nice day Sharon" I watched Kyle walk past me and out of my door and slamming it as a sign of anger.

Sharon be careful with this guy, he will burn you again and this time they'll be no escaping.