22. WAITING ROOM (edited)

Cindy's POV

"Okay thank you, just call me when you hear anything from him"

I put down the phone and the nervous feeling made my stomach turn. It was nearly midnight, Felix had not returned home and the waiting was not helping either. I had called the office and luckily, his PA had not answered. A younger woman answered, telling me that he had left long a while ago.

Staring at the clock killed me, because every tick of the clock had me tapping my feet on the floor. There was a sound of an engine and then it died, that is he. I ran towards the door and when I unlocked it, Felix landed on me, pushing me to the floor.

"Mr. Felix I can't breathe!" I called out to him but he was not moving an inch, with all my strength, I pushed him to my side and he landed on the floor next to me. I struggled to breath but I quickly got onto my knees and tried to wake him up.

"Mr. Felix get up please" I called out to him, nothing, not even a sound. I got closer to him and placed my ear closer to his nose, to feel his breath on my ear and he was not breathing. I smelt a strong and overwhelming smell of alcohol.

**********

I sat on the cold chairs, the thing about hospitals is that it always gave me the chills and in cases like these, I often lose all hope. I could not help but to panic, he was not breathing at all and his face felt cold. I called the ambulance and it felt as if they took forever to arrive. The weird thing was that since waiting for Felix yesterday, I have been spending my time near clocks, looking at clocks and tapping my feet around clocks.

I could not help but ask myself what if he was dead? This waiting in the hospitals waiting room was killing me, it smelt of medicine, it was empty and the air filled with death. I hate this place.

"Mrs. Martini" The doctor called out and I quickly sprang up from my chair.

"Yes doctor, sorry Mr. Felix's mother isn't here" I answered the doctor, wondering why she would drag Mr. Felix's mother into this.

"Sorry but aren't you his wife?" The doctor asked me, this was a shock to me that the doctor would think that I was Mr. Felix's wife.

"No! My name is— Precious and I am— I'm his House help. Is he, is he dead?" I asked. my heart stopping as I awaited the answer.

"No he's not dead" The doctor told me, just hearing those words made me happy.

I do not want to lose you Felix, ever I Thought to myself, also mentally slapping myself for placing Mr. Felix on the top of my priority list.

"Do you perhaps know any family members or even have their numbers?"

"Uhm. His mum, but please what happened to him?"

"Well let's just say that our friend here consumed more alcohol than he should have, if you hadn't acted as fast as you did, he would have been on a silver slate with a tag attached on his cold toe. But he's okay for now, he's sleeping and the meds are doing its work"

"When will he be discharged?"

"By this afternoon and when he gets home all he needs to do is rest" The doctor informed me and I was thankful that nothing else was wrong.

"But can I see him?"

"Sure you can, but don't disturb him; I'll be in my office if you need me" the doctor informed me and then left my presence, leaving me alone in the waiting room.

Every step I took towards Mr. Felix's room, I felt my legs getting heavier and heavier. I paused at his door and allowed myself in. There he was, sleeping on his bed with no movement or sound except for the sound of the beeping machine. It broke my heart that he slept there with all those machine and drops, keeping him hydrated.

I sat onto his bed as quietly as I could and ran my hand across him; I touched his face and stared at him closely. The color was gone from his face, his eyes swollen even though they were shut.

"If I got sick often, would you touch me like you just did?" I quickly moved my hands away from Mr. Felix. I could not believe it, although his eyes were shut he still managed to speak to me. His voice was soft but he managed to crack a smile

"Are you okay?" I asked him.

"I'm better now that you're here with me"

"I'm being serious Felix!" I yelled at him, I hated that he took his heath for granted and his behavior worried me.

"And I'm not? You seriously think I enjoyed listening to that doctor's voice, talking about my results and high levels of alcohol in my system?"

"And why would you even drink that much and to make matters worse you drove yourself back home"

"Can you stop whining about this? I had a few shots okay" Mr. Felix tried to justify his action, which did not sit well with me.

"A few shots wouldn't have me you pass out; a few shots wouldn't have landed you in hospital looking like a man who barely escaped the jaws of death"

He couldn't control himself any longer, so his eyes seemed droopy and he began to cry.

"Cindy I'm so sorry I didn't— I didn't mean to hurt you. It's just that there was so many things and all of a sudden I —"

"Was it because of me?" I asked him, deep down I knew the answer so I looked away from him.

"Damn it Cindy! Look at me"

I could not bear to look into his eyes all the signs were there. I was the cause of all this trouble in his life. He got himself into a sitting position and grabbed me by both my shoulders until I faced him.

"Look here, none of this is your fault. I'm a grown man, I make my own decisions and I have to face the consequences for my actions"

"But if, if I hadn't said all those mean things to y, you then maybe—"

"It's not your fault and there is no buts or maybe or should haves. I do not blame you; what happened left you feeling embarrassed. Other women would have loved being caught kissing the boss just so they brag about or better sell it to the tabloids. Cindy but you are different; you were embarrassed because unlike them you have self-respect"

"But it wasn't your fault either"

"Yes it was! I acted like some horny teenager and I could not control myself. You are beautiful, valuable and I am so disgusted at myself for wanting to make love to you in my office. My office damn it! For that I'm so sorry and if could just—"

"Good Mr. Martini you're awake"

The doctor walked through the door, She looked through Felix's file and asked how he was feeling, keeping me out of the conversation. I did not mind, he was getting better and that is all I wanted.

"So Mr. Martini I'll ask the nurse to bring your papers and you'll be discharged this afternoon"

"Thank you doctor"

They both shook hands and the doctor left just the two of us, I looked in Felix's direction and I was a bit was too late; the medications had knocked him out.

"Sleep well Felix"

I kissed his forehead, left his room and quietly shut the door behind me.