CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHT: SURPRISE ME (edited)

1 Week later

Felix's POV

Walking up the steps to the courtroom and finally seeing the light of the courtroom made me feel a bit calm. I would almost feel free if it weren't for the chains around my ankles or the handcuffs around my arms.

The courtroom came into view, and the first thing I did was look at the crowd. The reporters were there, waiting to get a piece of me and sell me off piece by piece to every reader in the columns or reading their newspaper.

I didn't care what they thought; my only worry was that my wife was being tormented and stalked by the press every chance they got, and camping outside our home made it even worse. This isn't the life I imagined for her or for us.

Finally, I spotted my wife in the far corner of the room, with no emotion on her face at all. It broke my heart because she was going back to being that young woman who was brought into my house for the first time, scared and feeling all alone.

I looked at the officer who unlocked my handcuffs and took off the chains around my ankles.

"Thank you very much."

He looked at me for a while and came closer to my ear.

"In all the years of being a police officer, this is the first time that I'm actually sure that someone is innocent. I believe you."

His kind words touched my heart and almost made me cry. Here I kept thinking it was only my family that believed in my innocence, and here I am standing in front of a total stranger who actually believes me.

I watched the police officer walk away from me, and not long after, the judge walked in and everyone stood.

The judge instructed us to all sit down, and we did as we were told. I didn't feel ready for another day filled with cross-examinations and witness after witness going up onto the witness stand.

The state lawyer finally called up one of my employees, Mrs. Harper, who had been working at the law firm for as long as I could remember. For an old woman, she knew how to keep everyone on their toes, and she was also the law firm mother.

She made her way to the witness stand and sat down, taking her time to position herself properly.

"Good morning, Mrs. Harper."

"Good morning to you, fine gentlemen, and how do you do?"

That earned her a chuckle in the courtroom.

"I'm doing great, but I will be even greater if you help me uncover this case."

"Well, I'll be happy to help; ask away."

She responded with her thick southern accent.

"Mrs. Harper, how did you come about knowing Mr. Felix?"

"I've worked at the law firm since before he took his first step when his father hired me as a secretary."

"And Mr. Felix kept you even after his father retired?"

"Oh yes, he did."

"And he didn't tell you to leave or retire."

"Huh! " He wouldn't dare; I practically babysat him when he was a little boy."

That got her another chuckle from the courtroom and even from myself.

"So, when did you first meet Cindy?"

Mrs. Harper positioned herself properly on the chair, placed both her hands on her lap, and smiled.

"I remember the first day I saw her like it was yesterday. Cindy walked into the office carrying a big basket in her hand and asked if she could speak to Felix. She was so small; her nerves were probably all over the place, but you could tell that she had courage. I asked who she was, and she told me that she worked as a maid in Felix's house, which was weird because Felix hates it when people invade his private space. I asked her what was in the basket, and she showed me. Oh goodness, there were all sorts of sandwiches, orange juice, and other delicacies,"