Chapter 16

When I got to the hospital, my mom was sitting in a wheelchair, ready to go home.
"Elizabeth, I thought you forgot about me." I put on a smile and gave her one of our signature bear hugs.
"Hi, mom. Sorry I'm late. Are you ready to go?"
"Ready as ever."
My mom signed her release papers and I had to wheel her down to reception.
The hospital gave her a walker to get her from A to B for the time she needed to recover.
She got out of the wheelchair by the entrance and took hold of the walker.
I could see that I had my work cut out for me.
The taxi was waiting for us and although it was a struggle getting my mom into it, we managed.

We got to my mom's house and once inside I made her comfortable in bed.
"Elizabeth...I was wondering if you brought your laptop with?" my mom asked.
"No, mom. I forgot but I'll bring it with me tomorrow," I replied.
"Do you want lunch, mom? I can get some fish and chips if you like."
Growing up we always had fish and chips on a Saturday. I was more than willing to get some because then I wouldn't have to cook.
I was not the type of girl that liked cooking.
Just before I left to go buy lunch, I checked my cell again but still had no miss calls or messages from Rheese.
My heart felt heavy and I didn't know if it was such a good idea for me to have been stubborn not to call him.
Maybe he didn't care that much about me but it made know difference how I was feeling.
When I came back, my mom was sitting in the lounge, watching television.
"Mom, why are you not in bed?" I scold at her.
"Elizabeth, I'm fine. I've spend enough time in bed when I was in hospital," she said and got up to sit at the dinning table. When I wanted to help her, she gave me one look that said 'leave me alone'.
I dished up our lunch and joined her at the table.
"What's the matter darling? You trying to act like nothing is wrong but I can see something's troubling you. It's written all over your face. Is it Rheese?"
I should've known that I couldn't hide things from my mom. Just hearing Rheese's name made my eyes cloud up with tears again.
"Talk to me, Elizabeth."
"We sort of had a fight last night. And now I don't know what is happening with us."
My mom got up from the table and walked over to me with the walker.
I turned to her and burst out crying.
"Ssssss...come now. No man is worth crying over my girl but I know it still hurts." She held me a little tighter and I was glad that she was still around.
We went back to eating our food and I was half way done when I started feeling nauseous again. I couldn't understand why I was feeling sick again.
I drank some water that was on the table and felt a bit better. I thought it was all the alcohol I had last night but thinking back, I use to feel like this when I got anxious about things and maybe this Rheese thing, is responsible feeling the way I did.
I cleaned up after lunch and went to my old bedroom. It looked exactly the same as before I and I threw myself down on my old bed, needing to sleep.

In the far distance I heard my mom speaking to a man and it sounded like, Rheese.
Not long after, I heard a knock on my bedroom door and the turn of the doorknob.
When I opened my eyes, the room was dark with only the light of the passage shining through.
I must have fallen asleep.
"Liz...are you awake?"
The voice belonged to Keith. I stretched out my body, yawning and turned to face him.
"Keith, w...what are you doing here?" surprised to see him at my mother's house.
He came to sit at the foot of my bed.
"I was told to deliver this to you," putting a silver box in front of me with a envelope.
"W...who is it from?" I asked, picking up the envelope and box.
"We took Rheese to the airport and he asked me to give it to you."
I was feeling shit knowing Rheese left and us not resolving what happened between us.
"I'll give you some space and go join Ben in the lounge with your mom."
With saying that, Keith got up and left.
I reached for my bedside lamp and turned it on.
I opened the box and saw two smaller boxes in it.

The first box I opened had two sets of keys in it.
The note said, " Keys to my apartment and car. I know your car's giving you trouble, so use mine till I get back. I know you love the ocean, so stay at my place an when you look across it, remember I'm thinking of you. Happy holidays."
The second box I opened held a solid rose gold bracelet. It was a plain bracelet but had an inscription on it.
I started reading the inscription ' The one who holds my HEART ' and my eyes welled up with tears.