Chapter 22

***Rheese***

It's been four week ago that I woke up with a hangover from hell. Drinking my problems away seemed like a good idea at the time but looking back now, it didn't solve any of my problems.
Gerry was still pregnant and I was still holding off on telling Liz about it but time was running out. The baby was due May the 15th.
It was only a few months before I would have to leave and go back home to the UK.

I pulled out my cell to call my mom to find out if Gerry went to Ann for her appointment.
As I dialled my mom's cell, Jacky my secretary walked in with a files in her hand.
"Mr. Carter we've just received a case of a boy with a big growth on his right side of his face.
"Thanks, Jacky. I'll have a look at it as soon as I'm finished speaking to my mom."
Jacky picked up the empty cup and walked out of my office, closing the door behind her.

"Afternoon. Jone speaking," my mom answered, always spoke with such grace.
"Hi mom."
"Rheese, it's good to hear from you. How's things going with the new job?"
"Works hectic but I'm enjoying it. I'm just calling to check if Gerry went to Ann for her check up today."
"She did my boy. In fact we just got back."
"So, how did it go?"
"Baby is fine and Gerry is just getting bigger. She's upstairs with Diane. Do you want to speak to her?"
The last thing I wanted to do was speak to Gerry.
"No, mom. I'll wait till she calls me. She normally calls a few times a week. I have to cut this short. I have to get back to work. Speak to you soon."
"Don't work too hard...oh, and say hello to Elizabeth for me. You must bring her with you the next time you come home. Bye for now."
"Goodbye, mom."
If only she knew that I haven't spoken to Liz, yet.

I started work at the clinic a few weeks ago and finally my job brought me satisfaction. It was a great feeling, seeing the smiles of my patients after their operations.
I have been working long hours for these past weeks and wanted to do something special for Liz. She has been very supportive and patient with me working the way I have been, not seeing much each other.
For a guy that never wanted to do relationships, I laughed at myself sometimes.
It just took the right girl to make me see things differently.
I asked her to move in with me but because her work was close to her apartment, she said no.

Since I started to work I haven't fetched Liz from work.
I finished with my work early today and wanted to surprise Liz by fetching her.

***

The weeks was flying passed me and so far I've managed to keep my morning sickness under control. The pain in my abdomen was my colon that was giving me problems and used that as an excuse when I wasn't feeling well.
I was just over eight weeks pregnant and I had to tell Rheese about the baby but just couldn't bring myself and find the right time to tell him. Besides Rheese, I still had to give the news to my mom. That I wasn't looking forward to do. I was more affraid of telling my mom than Rheese.

Ben kept his promise of not telling Rheese or Keith.
I needed to make an appointment with a gynecologist but didn't know how to find a good one.
Money was a bit of a problem. I didn't earn that much money and I wasn't on any health care plans. Goverment hospitals was a no for me. I wanted to deliver my baby in a private hospital.
I knew now that Rheese had money because of the his profession but I didn't fall inlove with him because of him having money.
I fell inlove with Rheese because of him being who he was, an incredible person.
And I would never take advantage of him.

I was sitting behind my desk, with my hands over my face, wondering what to do next.
"Liz...are you okay?" Beth asked me, concern lurking in her voice. "You look pale."
"I'm fine but I do have a small problem," I replied.
"What's the problem? Maybe I can help it I'll try to."
"Do you have a gynecologist that you can recommend me?" Beth looked at me curiously.
"Are you having woman problems?"
"You can say so. It's...it's...maybe I should just tell you."
I had to tell Beth sooner or later and now seemed the right time to do it.
"Tell me what?"
"I'm having a baby," I said without hesitating.
"Oh my word. That would explain you feeling sick all the time. It all makes sense."
I could see Beth mentally joining the dots.
"Beth...Beth!" I yelled, trying to get her attention.
"Beth. So do you or don't you have someone I can call?" I asked her.
"Oh...yes, I do have a gynecologist that you can see. She's good but a bit expensive."
She wrote down the number with the name of the doctor and came over to give it to me.
"Thanks, Beth."
I knew private hospitals and specialist were expensive but I would just have to make a plan. I would have to save most of my money.