Chapter 21

It was early Monday morning when I woke up, feeling hot.
The summers in Cape Town was generally hot, starting early in the morning.
Rheese having his limbs all over my body didn't help much. He was as hot as the sun that came streaming through my bedroom window.
He had his legs and arms around me, holding me tight and his body heat was hot against my skin.
It was a struggle getting out of his hold but finally managed to get my body free. I got off the bed quietly, tiptoeing to the bathroom, not wanting to wake him up.
Just as well I woke up by myself because I realised I haven't set the alarm clock.
After coming out of the bathroom, Rheese was still fast asleep.
I got dressed in a black knee hight pencil skirt, a sheer maroon blouse and a pair of black hills. I had to make an impression today.
I had to explain why I took extra days off to Mr. Beck.
I left Rheese sleeping and left him a note on the bed, next to him.
"You looked so handsomely sexy and couldn't bring myself to wake you. I will see you later. Love you!"
On my way to into the city, on the bus, I wished that I could've stayed in bed with him but I had to face reality sooner than later.

When I got to Mr. Becks office, Sara was hard at work already.
"Morning, Sara. How was your holidays?"
Her eyes shot up from the computer and gave me a nervous smile.
"Morning, Liz. My holidays was good but it's back to the grind stone for me."
"Is Mr. Beck available?"
"Yes, he said to send you through when you got here."
I thought it was strange that he was expecting me but before I could ask, Sara answered my question.
"Did Beth tell you to come in?"
"No, I haven't been at work yet."
"Just as well you came out of your own. Saved you a trip from going to work first."
I smiled at her and walked across to Mr. Becks office. I knocked on the door nervously and waited.

"Come inside," Mr. Becks harsh voice came from behind the door.
I opened the door slowly and Mr. Beck was busy behind his desk.
"Sit down, Ms Forbes," he said in a commanding manner.
Shit I was in big trouble. He didn't bother looking up from his desk.
"I believe you left work before you were due for your leave."
"Yes, but..."
"No butts Ms Forbes. I don't have time for your excuses. I'm letting you off with a warning this time. The next time this happens, you'll be clearing your desk. Here is your written warning. Sign it."
I sat with my mouth hanging open, with no sound coming out.
He handed the written warning to me to sign. I signed the document and wanted to say why I took those days off but he didn't give me a chance.
"That will be all," Mr. Beck said, taking the document from me.
As I got up, I walked over to the door saying, "Good day Mr. Beck."
He didn't bother to respond and I left his office.

It was almost tea time when I finally got to work.
Beth was in the main building, unpacking new books, when I walked past her.
"Hi, Liz. Welcome back. I have a message for you from Sara."
Beth sounded very cheerful. "Oh, I've already been over the hot coals with Mr. Beck."
For some reason I wasn't feeling to good after my meeting with Mr. Beck this morning. I was feeling nauseous and feeling discomfort I my abdomen.
It made me feel a little queezy and light headed.
My cell pinged and I knew it would be a message from Rheese.
'Hi baby, why didn't you wake me?Leaving your place now. I have a meeting with Dr. Van Dyk. Have a good first day back at work. See you later. I miss you already. Love you! '
What Rheese saw in me I will never know but I loved him for loving me.
I started up my computer and went through all the work I had to do for the day, ignoring the way I was feeling.

***Rheese***

When I woke up Liz was gone to work already but next to layed a note with a message from her.
Wishing she was next to me and not at work.

The meeting with John went well and he wanted me to start asap.
I agreed to start the next Monday, letting him know that I had to finalize my research report.
We went for lunch and spoke about the research I was doing.
He was happy that I was coming on board.
It was after three in the afternoon when I left John's at the restaurant. Just before I got into my car, my cell started vibrating.
"Hi, Rheese speaking."
"Rheese it's Ann. Do you have a minute?"
"Yes. Did the purtinity test come back?"
There was only one reason Ann was calling me. Fuck, I was on my nerves but needed to know the results.
"That's why I'm calling. It looks like you are the father."
My body froze and my mouth went dry at the news Ann just gave me.
"Rheese...are you..."
"Yes, I heard you."
"Sorry to have been the one to tell you. If there is anything you need just call me."
"Thanks, Ann."
Now I had no option but to tell Liz about Gerry and the baby.
I went back to my apartment and had to call my mom to let her know what the outcome of the purtinity test was.