Chapter 18

***Rheese***

After speaking to Liz, I immediately called Keith to find out why Ben went to her. When I spoke to Keith, he didn't have much information on the matter. All he could tell me was that Ben left in a hurry. He needed to get to the pharmacy because Liz was feeling ill.

' Why didn't she tell me that she was feeling ill, when I spoke to her earlier.'

I couldn't call her, it was late and I knew she would be sleeping. I got into my bed and closed my eyes but I couldn't settle down. Thinking of what was happening miles away with her.
Not being able to sleep I got out of bed and went to my study. My laptop was sitting on my desk closed and I opened it, bringing it to life, I entered my pass word and got busy with some research before I left on my holiday and I still needed to go through some of my notes.

When I finally closed the laptop it was after four in the morning and went back to my room. Throwing myself across my bed I started texting Liz a message. I wanted to be the first person she woke up to.

' I miss you, baby. Not able to sleep without you tonight. The one who holds my HEART. I love you.'

Eventually I fell asleep with Liz occupying my mind and hoping all was well with her.

I picked Gerry up at her apartment in the city and went to see my friend and colleague Dr. Freeman..
She was surprised to hear I needed her help but didn't asked too many questions when I called her the day before.
Everyone at the hospital thought I was still a bachelor, so she was surprise that I needed help with finding out if Gerry was carrying my child. My colleague's never saw me being accompanied by a woman to any of my work functions, over the years.
I was one of the youngest top plastic surgeons in the country, handsome and wealthy.
The perfect catch.
When my nanna died, I inherited a small fortune but never needed to use the money.
I had a job that payed me a top salary and I tried to live a simple life but I couldn't run away from it. Both my parents came from wealthy families and were doctors by profession.
When I was growing up, my sister and I never lacked anything. One thing my parents insisted on was that we went to public schools. I was glad that we did. Although my parents worked most of the time we had our grandparents to take care of us.
Grateful to them for guiding me in the right direction.

When we entered the doctor's rooms, Ann greeted me with a smile and extended her hand to Gerry.
"I believe your here today to see how your baby is doing," Ann said, showing us to take a seat.
"Ann, I want to find out if it's mine."
I got straight to the point and Ann looked at me suspiciously.
"Well, let us take a look how far along you are and take some blood," Ann spoke to Gerry and got up from behind her desk.
She took us threw to the room where the ultra sound machine stood. Ann asked Gerry to get undressed and to get onto the bed.
After she squeezed some gel on her stomach, she moved the stick around, measuring and taking some pics. We could hear the babies heart beat and I just stood frozen in one place. Gerry was over joyed, smiling when she saw her baby.
"Look, Rheese. Our baby's moving," Gerry said with excitement.
When Ann was finished examining Gerry, she took out the needle to draw some blood samples, I walked out of the room, leaving her to get on with it.
Ann came out into her office alone after a few minutes and went to sit on her chair, facing me.
"Gerry is getting dressed," she said before I asked her where she was.
"She's just under twelve weeks and we should have the results of the paternity test back as soon as I get a blood sample from you.
Listen Rheese, I'm not gonna asked questions but if it is yours then what are you gonna do?" Ann spoke to me as a friend now.
How was I suppose to answer her. I wasn't sure of what to do about this baby but I was sure about Liz. I could see a future with her.
"I'll cross that bridge when we get there. When do you want to take a blood sample?" I replied, pushing my sleeves up my arms.
"We can take blood after Gerry's done."
Just as Ann said that, Gerry came out of the room.
"Rheese, did you hear our baby's heart beat. Oh my god, in so excited," Gerry spoke in her high pitch voice. She walked over to me, bending down to kiss me but I turned my head.
I didn't answer her and got up so that Ann could get a sample of my blood.