Chapter 24

***Rheese***

I found Liz standing amongst her mother's roses bushes and all I wanted to do was reach out to her and tell her how much she's changed my world.

She didn't hear me approaching but as I got closer I knew at that moment, I wanted her with all my heart and soul.
I needed to make up for the way I handled my proposal to her.
Holding her from behind, against my chest, I turned her around to face me and without any hesitation, I went down on my knee, declaring what I felt in my heart.
As I was talking, the tears ran down her face and I knew that what I felt, she was feeling it too.
She said yes to marrying me and I let out a sigh of relieve.
I got up and held her tight, kissing her with all the love I had inside of me, just for her.
When we went inside and tell her mom that we were getting married, we were greeted with her mother's blessings.

When we got back to my apartment, the first thing I wanted to do was ring up my mom and tell her the good news.
Liz was feeling tired after everything that happened today and went to lay down while I phoned home.
As the phone rang in my ear I wondered what my mother's reaction would be.
"Hello mom. How's things that side of the world?"
"It's okay you know." My mom sighed and I wondered what was eating at her. It wasn't like her to not sound cheerful.
"What bugging you mom?"
"It's just since Diane is back, Gerry has been here almost everyday and she's starting to work on my nerves. She is constantly talking about the two of you and your future. And because I know how you feel about her..." I could sense my mom taking strain.
"Oh mom, I'm sorry about what I've done."
"No Rheese, Gerry practically fell pregnant without you knowing. I'm sure she thought if there was a baby involve you would change your mind about being with her."
"I should never have gotten involved with her in the first place but I should have known she was capable of doing something so drastic. Anyway what's done is done. That brings me to why I'm calling."
I held my breath.
"Mom."
"Yes, dear."
" I'm getting married." My mom shouted, calling my dad.
"Oh, Rheese. I'm so happy for you," my mom said and started sniffing. I could just imagine my mom crying tears of joy. She never expected to hear those words coming from me.
"Mom...Liz is also having my baby. I love her."
My mom burst out crying but the sound was muffled. I could hear my dad asking her why she was crying.
I listened as my mom told my dad, crying inbetween words and wondered if she would ever stop.
"Rheese! Congratulations!" my dad said. "As you can hear your mom is overjoyed that her son is settling down and so am I. Let us know about your plans on the wedding. I have to go now. Your mom can't stop crying. Goodbye son."
"Okay dad. Speak to you soon and tell mom I'll call her in the week again. Goodbye dad."
I didn't know how long I've been on the phone but when I walked into the bedroom, Liz was fast asleep.

***

When we got back to the apartment late afternoon, I was feeling drained of the days happenings and went to lay down on the bed. Rheese was busy calling his parents to tell them that we were getting married.
As I listened to him, I drifted off to sleep.

It was in the middle of the night when I woke up with Rheese half covering my body with his.
I got out of bed needing something cold to drink. It was one of those nights that was extremely hot. Looking at the clock hanging on the wall it was 04:46am.
After pouring myself a glass of cold cranberry juice I went to sit on the couch but out of the corner of my eye I saw Rheese's cell flickering. Picking up the cell I notice he had quite a few miss calls and messages, and I couldn't help myself but to take a look at them.
The id caller read: Diane's friend. This was the same person who he was speaking to yesterday and I couldn't help but wonder why his sister's friend would be calling him all the time. I opened the last message that was send to him and it was again from this mysterious friend. All the message said was: 'I need to talk to you urgently. Call me.'
I closed his cell but as I was sitting there I was wondering what was it that was so urgent that his sister's friend was sending Rheese messages till in the early hours of the morning. Trying to think of reasons why this mysterious friend would call and send messages, I swallowed the last bit of juice and got up, but as I walked to the kitchen Rheese started screaming out ' no, no...Liz come back.' from the bedroom. Half running back to the bedroom, Rheese was still sleeping but was mumbling words that I couldn't make out anymore. Reaching out to wake him from his nightmares, he grabbed my wrists and tried pulling me him.
"Rheese...Rheese wake up!" I shouted at him, struggling to get out of his grasp. He was holding my wrists so tight that it was starting to hurt.
"Rheese!" I shouted, as the tears started came running.
He finally woke with the sounds of my hysterical crying. He was fully awake and as he realized what he did, he gathered me in his arms.
"Oh my god. Liz. I'm sorry. I'm sorry. What have I done."
I let him hold me but the fear of the way he gripped my wrists with force, frightened the living hell out of me.
"Are you okay? Did I hurt you?" Rheese said, whispering.
"I'll be okay. I think. You were screaming in your sleep Rheese," I replied.
"I'm so sorry baby. I didn't mean..."
"I'm okay, really. My wrists are just hurting a little."
He held me closer as if he was never gonna let me go.
I must have fallen asleep because when I woke up again, he wasn't next to me.