Chapter 19

I woke up and realised I had fallen asleep on the couch. It was still dark outside and when I looked at the clock, the time was 2:25am. It was christmas morning.
I got up from the couch and picked up the necklace with the diamond heart pendant, walking over to the balcony. Looking out across the ocean, I thought of Rheese and wondered if he's thinking of me as I do about him. I held the necklace a little tighter, wishing he was by my side.

I locked all the doors in the apartment and went to the bedroom but stopped in my tracks at the door. The floor and bed was covered in rose petals.
'Oh my word.'
I stood amazed at what lengths Rheese would go to to make me remember him and make me smile.
There was no question that the boys were responsible for doing all of this.
It's funny how Ben and Keith ended up with each other. Ben was always a girly girl but I wouldn't have thought that Keith was gay. He was tall, buff, good looking and I was happy Ben found someone like Keith who cared for him.

Stunned at the sight of the bedroom, I walked over to the bed and saw a note on the pillow. Picking it up, I sat on the edge of the bed, reading the message.
' I want to lay you down in my bed of roses, Liz...'
My heart couldn't handle what Rheese has done and my tears came falling down my cheeks, over joyed that he was all mine. I still couldn't believe it.
I loved him more and more each passing day. I took the note and put it on the side table of the bed. I looked down at the necklace, picked it up and put it over my head. The heart pendant dangling between my breasts.
I needed to feel him close to me and got one of his t-shirt out of the draw to sleep in.
I was emotionally, mentally and physically tired and climbed under the duvet, curling into a ball.
' Merry Christmas, Rheese,' I whispered, resting my hand over my tummy. ' Merry Christmas, little pea,'
I closed my eyes thinking of Rheese and his little pea that could be growing inside of me. I knew I had to see a gynecologist to confirm that I was pregnant, not believing it could happen in such a short time but deep down I could sense a baby's presence.

***Rheese***

On the flight back, I couldn't sleep. I was feeling like a child on christmas day, excited to see the girl that changed my world.
For the last two days I've tried sorting out my business and spoke to Ann to let me know the outcome of the tests. I spoke to Van Dyk on a video call and he was glad that I was taking his offer of becoming head plastic surgeon at his clinic.
All I had left to do was finalize my research notes, send in my findings on the 'deforming in the womb' to the hospital and I could make the move to Cape Town permanently.
I had a lot of things to tell Liz but will wait for the right time to speak to her.
I was glad when the plane landed, anxious to get back to the apartment where I know Liz would be sound asleep. It was a warm beautiful morning that welcomed me back when I stepped off the plane, happy to leave the winter weather behind in London.
I took a taxi back to my apartment but first had to stop off at Keith's to get my spare set of keys.

When I stepped through the apartment door, even I had to take in what I saw. The place looked beautiful with all the roses adorning the open plan room.
I inhaled, taking in a deep breath. The smell of cooked meat mixed with the smell of roses hung in the air.
I went to the fridge to investigate and saw the meat that Liz must have cooked.
When I walked into the bedroom, Liz was curled up in a ball, still fast asleep. She looked beautiful surrounded by the rose petals. When I touched her hands, holding it in mine, she didn't stir and started assaulting her with soft butterfly kisses.

***

Feeling soft butterfly kisses against my face, I thought I was dreaming and grind. 'Rheese...mmm'
The kisses continued and realised I was not dreaming. My first reaction was to hit what ever it was off my face but found my hands being restrained.
"I thought you might do that," a firmiliar voice said. My eyes opened in a flash at the sound of his voice and I looked at blue eyes baring down on me, taking me in.
"R...Rheese...what you doing here? You should be miles away," I said, shocked at seeing him in the flesh.
"Is that the way to greet the man you love?" he bend down and kissed the top of my nose.
"But...how come you here? You were in London yesterday," I said, still in a daze and shocked.
"After seeing you yesterday...I knew I wouldn't last another day without you. Liz, you have become my world in such a short time. You don't know how much you mean to me. When I said I loved you...I meant it." Rheese took the heart pendant in his hand. "You're the one who holds my heart and You. Are. Mine," Rheese spoke the last words with conviction, taking a deep breath as if the world was lifted of his shoulders.
"Rheese, I love you too and I'm happy that you're here...it's just that I'm scared that I'll wake up one day and you'll be gone."
"Why are you scared that I'll leave you?"
"Well, just look at me."
"If only you see what I see."
His eyes travelled intensely up and down my body, making me hot with his gaze.
"Were you dreaming of me?" Rheese asked seductively and I hid my face in the pillow. If I looked in his eyes he would know that he was spot on.
"Why are you hiding your face from me?" Rheese cupped my cheeks, moving my head till I looked at him.
"Rheese...I just woke up and I must be looking like godzilla," I said, being very much aware what I looked like in the morning.
"I'm looking at you and you look gorgeous," he said, sure of what he was saying. "How are you feeling?" I wasn't sure how to answer him and kept silent.
I got out of bed and walked to the bathroom to brush my teeth. Rheese followed me and leaned against the bathroom door.
"You haven't answered me. Are you feeling okay?" he asked, looking concerned.
He looked so god damn sexy leaning against the bathroom door but I could see he wasn't gonna back down from getting an answer from me.
"I'm okay. You know. Just worried what's gonna happen when I get back to work. I took days off that wasn't authorized." I was hoping he was gonna buy what I was telling him and drop the topic.
"And...oh shit. What's the time? I have to get to my mom before twelve for lunch."
My mother was very traditional when it came to Christmas and Easter. Church in the morning and a full on feast for lunch. I stopped going to church awhile back but knew my mother would have gone this morning.
"Why did Ben go to the pharmacy for you?" Rheese asked suspiciously, eyeing me from the door.