Chapter 17

***Rheese***

When I landed at Heathrow airport, it was late but I had to call, Liz.
By now she would have received the box from Keith. I would have loved to have been there watching her face as she opened the boxes.
I got my cell from my pocket and dialled her number.
She picked up almost immediately. Just hearing her voice made me want to take the next plane back to Cape Town.
She sounded so excited and I let her speak. The last thirty six hours has been hell for me. Not seeing and touching her.
I finally told Liz that I loved her and when she said she loved me to, I couldn't help but smile from ear to ear. That was the confirmation I was waiting for.
It was hard to say goodbye to her after that but I had to get home. It was snowing when I got outside the airport.

The taxi pulled into my driveway and thought of how I would have liked Liz to see how beautiful the river Thames was in winter.
I stepped through the front door and switched on the lights on my way up to my bedroom, lighting up the house. It was a house that was a newly built. It was spacious and had glass for most of the walls, letting in the natural light. I hired an interior designer to furnish and decorate the house. Hans decorated it with simple modern peaces but it was tasteful.

I dropped my luggage on the bedroom floor and went to the study to switch on my laptop. A noise came from the front of the house and I heard my front door being opened.
Only one person had a set of keys to my house but I wasn't ready to deal with her just yet.
I walked back down the passage and as I turned the corner, I saw Gerry in the kitchen, head in the refrigerator.
"What the fuck are you doing in my house! And how the hell did you know I'm back," I shouted at her but she carried on with what she was doing.
It's like she didn't hear me, pretending that I just didn't shouted at her.
"Hi, Rheese. I've missed you," Gerry said, running to me, throwing her arms around my neck.
She kissed me on the cheek, batting her eyelashes at me.
"I want my keys back," I demanded, taking her wrist in my hands, tightening my grip around it.
"But darling...you gave it to me, remember." I was brewing with anger. "No...you took it without me knowing," raising my voice at her. "Besides, I'm gonna have to see you when we have the baby."
Gerry was a fucken spoiled  brat, used to getting what she wanted, beside me, until the day of my sister's wedding. I can still kick myself for giving in to her.
"I want my keys back and about the baby. We have an appointment with one of the gynecologist I know at the hospital, in the morning."
Fuck, this shit. I walked to the kitchen to get a beer but she beat me to it and handed me one.

This was gonna be a nightmare to get her out of my life. The move to Cape Town was just what I needed. I wasn't sure if I should leave but after meeting Liz and her reciprocating my feelings, it didn't seem like a bad idea.
I had to get hold of Dr. Van Dyk and have a video call with him about taking the position as head plastic surgeon at Van Dyk Clinic. He was the CEO to his own hospital and was still performing surgery at his age on patients that was in need of it and couldn't afford to pay the astronomical fees. Van Dyk was getting old now and wanted someone to take his place. He wanted me to run the clinic and perform the operations. The offer was an attractive one.

I took the beer out of her hand, avoiding contact and took a big gulp.
"Look Gerry, if you are carrying my child I'll take responsibility for it but that doesn't mean that you are part of the package. And I'm moving to South Africa soon anyway."
She went pale and falling back onto one of the bar chairs. Acting like the wife receiving bad news.
"When we find out how far along you are and if I'm the father of the baby, then we can sit down and talk."
She jumped up and started screaming at me, being hysterical.
"Fuck you! Rheese. You can't leave me. You can't. You are the father of our unborn child, please Rheese...I love you."
Her screaming turned into crying. She walked over to where I was standing and fell on her knees in front of me.
"Get up, Gerry! You look pathetic. I never said I loved you and you know what we had was just fucken sex. Fuck, it's not like I'm the only one you've fucked while we were together."
Putting my beer on the kitchen counter and pulled her up onto her feet. Taking her by the hand, I grabbed her bag off the chair, on my way to the front door. Dragging her along, I rummaged through her bag for my spare set of house keys and took it out. I had enough of her drama.
"I'll pick you up in the morning. Be ready at 9:00 am." I said, before opening the door.
I shut the front door closed, leaving her outside on the porch. I locked the door with the spare set of keys I got out of Gerry's handbag and went back to my room.
Fuming with rage I took a shower, trying to wash away the stress of the last half hour.
The minute I closed my eyes, all I wanted to think of was Liz and how she made me feel. I pressed my hands up against the shower wall and wished that I was looking into her big brown eyes, making love to her.