Chapter 20

A few days have passed, and Chomp did not come see me. KC promised he would let Chomp know but I don't think it's the promise I'm worried about. KC is a corn of his word, and he would've told Chomp,  but Chomp must've been serious about staying away from me for whatever reason.
Like a good sunflower, or plush flower, I stayed in bed and slept for a majority of the time. No one really came to see me except for Pea and Citron. The meetings were brief, Citron would check on my stitches and tighten them every now and again while feeding me some water. Pea came too to tell me about his escapades throughout the backyard and the mysterious Torchwood.
"But has anyone been working on a plan to save the others? How's Future Cactus doing?" Everything has been so hushed.
"She's resting." Pea sighed. "I keep telling you that, and you keep asking. Citron said she's strong enough to walk and fight again,  but it's just a matter of her waking up."
"As long as she's ok. "
Pea nodded,  and drank some of my water.
"Um that's mine silly." I snatched it away from him.
He raised his arms. "Look I barely get any water anymore. "
"There isn't some in the backyard?" I asked,  placing the cup down on the table.
"No."
"Then how are you guys supposed to be drinking to stay alive?"
"There is water Stuffy,"
Stuffy?  That was my new nickname?  It was different, almost as if a part of my identity was replaced.
Pea continued. "The only issue is that it's by the zombie docks, and we kind of have to sneak over there."
"Really?  Without any such flower supervision to heal you guys."
"Look Stuffy, we've gotten enough to last us a fee days just most of it's for you and Future so you guys can heal faster."
"I don't know why-"
"We're alright, and you little boyfriend Chomp-"
"He's not my boyfriend." I spat. "But how is he?"
"He's great." Pea paused, then added. "In fact he's been talking to one of the Dandelions downstairs."
I started counting in my head,  but before I could get to ten I smiled and said:
"I'm glad he's making friends."
"We're all making friends." Pea nodded. "In fact,  when you and Future are ready Torchwood wanted to add our murals in the stats room. It's a big room in the center of the tree trunk with a list of everyone here and what duties they have."
"That sounds great Pea-"
"It is-"
"But I can't get over the fact that everyone sounds like they've forgotten about our friends!  Alien flower, Future's sister. Even Cactus, our Cactus. Back when the zpg hit her in the face! "
Pea was silent.
"We need to get ready, to take Penny back and rescue all of them! "
Pea shook his head. "I don't think there's anything we can do."
"Yeah right, we have time travel on our side. We need to do something,  we can't just sit here and pretend like everything is alright. Dave left us-"
"Can you calm down?" Pea shouted. "Everyone's tired of fighting, it's nice to meet other plants and relax. Sit back in the backyard where we're safe and welcomed,  like family. We don't have to worry about the zombies we can stay here and go out and do our missions. And time travel is always going to be around with Penny,  we can do it whenever and save the others but right now we all just wanna settle and enjoy ourselves while we can."
Pea got up and stomped towards the threshold, gave me one last glance and then disappeared behind the door. Leaving me all alone as always, since no one else was going to see me. Maybe he was right,  but I was too and I wasn't going to let my friend just die and leave them there. Maybe I was going to have to do some things on my own.
My body felt better, I was able to walk but my stem was still a little sore. It didn't matter though, I was tired of sitting in bed doing nothing with no one to see. I walked towards the door and made a left down the hallway. The warm sun sat on my cheeks as I walked pass the window and I stopped to look out. The backyard was still as vibrant and colorful as the day Cactus and I were on the roof staring down. I could tell there was a nice breeze outside too based on the slight rustling of the leaves. Then I continued down the hall and past a door with Future Cactus inside.
She had mechanized parts wrapped around her face and body,  and she was sleeping. I sat down by her bed in silence, wondering if she was going to wake up soon. The room was slightly dark, especially for plants. It struck me as odd that neither Citron or Rose would open the shades to allow Cactus some light. I grunted and did it myself. I pulled the curtains open and allowed some sunlight to reign in on Cactus,  and hopefully that would help her feel better. I patted her gently and made my way out of the room.