Twenty Four

I pick up the phone as I walk to math class and all I get a bunch of sobbing and unintelligent sounds from the other end. I don't know if it's a wrong number or what but I'm worried about this person.

"Hey calm down what's going on?" "G-G-G-Gee" "Patrick is that you? Are you ok?" "N-no, no they said they won't be here and I need you and it's been so long and I can't find his breath and I'm scared" "Patrick calm down, what's happening?" "I don't know, p-please help" "Where are you?" "At h-home" "I'm gonna come ok, stay with me, are you alone?" This makes him start crying even harder so I try to calm him down as I run across the road out of school to my car and floor it towards their house.

I still can't get him to tell me why he's so hysterical so I speed down the roads and go through 3 red lights so I get to his house in less then 5 minutes. An ambulance is in front and it gives me a horrible feeling so I run in upstairs and find Patrick collapsed on the floor in him and Pete's bedroom crying his eyes out. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with him but there's a badly cut piece of rope hanging from the fan on the ceiling so I have an even worse feeling.

"Patrick, Patty baby come here" He's crying too hard to move so I sit beside him and wrap him in my arms and let him sob into my chest "Patty what's happened" "G-Gee p-please". I'm obviously not getting anything out of Patrick but I need to know what's even though in my gut I already know what's going on.

"Come on baby we're going downstairs" "I can't" "Why not?" "I can't leave here, I don't want to" "It'll all be ok, come on we're going downstairs". Slowly I help him to his feet and Patrick let's me slowly take him downstairs as he continues to clutch at my jacket sobbing like he's never going to stop.

An ambulance officer walks in the door as we come down and looks at poor Patrick them me holding him and sighs "Are you two coming in the ambulance?" "Yes we will" "Ok hurry". Patrick isn't actually able to hurry so I grab a hoodie for him to keep warm and pull him to sit in the back.

Like I thought Pete's lying on a stretcher hooked up to a ridiculous amount of machines and generators with a horrible rope burn around his neck. Pete tried to hang himself. I can't believe it, I thought he was going to be ok, I can't even imagine how bad Patrick must be feeling right now.

Patrick takes one look at Pete lying there looking so horrible and lifeless and breaks down again. I turn him away in the seat to put my body in his vision so he can't see him. He's shaking and crying so I put the hoodie on him then take off my jacket and wrap that around him as well and keep him tight in my arms.

He must of found him there. Patrick must of come home from school and found his best friend and most important person in the world to him hanging from their bedroom ceiling. I can't believe how horrible it must be for him, no wonder he's a mess.

Patrick's distracted me until now but he's crying so badly I just take out my phone and quickly text Frank to tell him he needs to meet us at the hospital. Telling him what happened over text would be horrible but I need him to hurry and I can't deal with everything on my own so I need him. He knows Patrick and Pete better then me so he can deal with this. I'm 17 so I don't know what to do when one of my friends is almost dead and the other is a hysterical broken mess in my arms. I just need Frank, Frank can make everything better and he can make everything good again.

The ambulance pulls out of the driveway as the lady from before gets in the back with us and slams the doors. She and another doctor in the back tend to Pete and I keep Patrick's eyes away from him. I stay right in the way of his sight so he won't have to see that and deal with that anymore.

We speed down the road and before Patrick's calmed down we get there and they throw the doors open to get Pete out into the hospital. I force Patrick's head into my chest and hug him close as they push Pete past and a bunch of people meet them and help wheel him in.