Chapter Fifteen: Ciel

“Ciel…Ciel,” who’s calling my name; where am I? I struggled to open my eyes; what is this? It looks like pieces of a cinematic record…Is this my cinematic record? I touched one of the pieces, “so this is the past you choose.” Whose voice is that? It’s changing; all these colors, red, orange and black. Wait…this is my mansion; it’s burning!

I can’t see this again; that day playing in front of me over and over again, why? Everything’s burning; flames licking my body and…father. Sitting in front of me in his chair. Wait, someone’s standing next to him; a woman. It’s that angel from earlier; was she there all those years ago? Did she do this to my parents?

Her hand is covered in blood; mother and fathers blood, why is she smiling? Is this some kind of sick joke to you; killing other peoples parents? She lifted fathers head to show me his face, but it wasn’t just him; mothers to? What did you do; what did you do to them? I could taste bile; I covered my mouth to keep from vomiting. Make it stop; take it away! I closed my eyes, “it’s not real, it’s not real!”

I opened my eyes; the horrific memory was gone, “where am I?” I sat up, “Some kind of library?”

“How did your past feel?” The angel Angelea asked. She was sitting on a bench next to me smiling. I stood up and glared at her, “that hand; it was my father’s hand. Why did you kill them? ” She stood and stepped toward me, “was I the only one to kill them? Your butler, no you killed them again.” I thought back to when Sebastian killed the priest on my order. Whatever that thing was, it wasn’t my parents, my parents died in a fire caused by Angelea.

She hovered over to me, “you are thoroughly sullied. Shall I change your impure past for you?” Everything was being twisted and warped; I can’t tell what’s real and what’s an illusion anymore.

 The flames surrounded me again, not this; why do you keep bringing me back to that day?! I collapsed onto the floor closing my eyes; I wanted to cry. “It’s alright Ciel,” is that my father’s voice? I looked up; father and mother were standing alive in front of me. The mansion was gone. Instead we were standing in a field; white feathers falling around us. They were smiling at me, real smiles; I’d forgotten what real smiles looked like.

“Please don’t grieve our deaths,” father said.

“Yes Ciel, we don’t want to see you suffer.” Mother said. Why are they saying this? “You’re lying, you’re lying! You were…”

“In that moment we saw light, it was tranquil and loving; filled with kindness. Your father and I became one in body and spirit.” Mothers’ warm voice echoed in my ears; I’d forgotten what she sounded like, how calming she was.

Father joined in, “now that we have become one; you can join us in body and spirit, Ciel.” They called to me, “we love you Ciel.”

I missed hearing them speak to me; an unfamiliar feeling took hold of my body, “M…mother, father.” I started stumbling toward them. “Come with us, we bear no grudge against anyone,” mothers voice called. They were so close to me.

“Don’t let negative emotions take over you; get rid of all hatred, hatred is unclean.” I stopped, unclean? You sound like the angel; this isn’t real. “What’s wrong Ciel?” They said in unison. “N…no I don’t want…” I struggled to force out the words. “Even if you never bore a grudge…that has nothing to do with me!”