Epilogue: Kaylien

San Francisco, April 18th 1906

I held my newborn son to my chest and watched the flames devour my home. I can’t get out; I’m going to die! I thought. I looked down at the crying baby I’d named after his father and smiled, “everythings going to be ok Sebastian. It won’t hurt for too much longer.”

Third person POV:

“Hey Michel, we got another one over here!” A blonde haired man shouted to an older man with dark hair digging through the remains of a burned home.

The older man pushed his way through the debris to where the blonde man was waiting, “where?” He pointed down at the badly burned body of a young woman and an infant. “Dear god,” the older man whispered.

“What god would take the life of an infant? The poor thing doesn’t look to be more than a few days old.” The blonde stared down at the two bodies. “What do we do with these two?”

The older man raised an eyebrow, “what we’ve been doing with the rest of the dead, throw them into the pit with the rest of the bodies.” The blonde nodded and helped carry the bodies to a mass grave nearby and tossed the two inside.

After making sure there were no more bodies, the two covered the pit with dirt and left the unmarked grave.