Aftermath (Two of Three)

Dan's funeral hurt. It really did. For the second time in her life, Ruby felt that someone understood her struggle as an agent and had done everything possible to stop her from getting hurt. Dan has paid the ultimate sacrifice; death. Ruby knew that the time of his death would haunt her for the rest of her life, and Ruby knew that no one, not even Clancy, would be able to understand what Dan had meant in his sacrifice on the mountain. Hitch, meanwhile, had managed to get Ruby out of professional therapy. Under different circumstances, he would have advised Ruby to go, but now he saw that she didn't need it. She had Clancy, and that kid was better than a thousand top of the range specialists combined. Spectrum had planned to look into the suspicious death of LB, and wanted to perform a full autopsy for the Count to find out who he really was. But Hitch thought that LB deserved to be recognised for her good things, rather than her bad ones, so he destroyed LB's investigation warrant, and argued that Spectrum would get nothing after performing a full autopsy, assuring them that the Count just was an insane old man. Then he buried LB and Count side by side, he knew they would have wanted it that way, under the great oak outside of Ruby's next door neighbours house. The place meant a lot to Ruby, as that was where she first saw LB, stealing her next door neighbours' poodle. And so Ruby could look at the great oak when she went to school and bring fresh flowers, and could forever remember what LB had given for Ruby to living as she was now. Ambassador Crew eventually let Clancy out of the confinement in his house, and he now spent most of his days at Ruby's house, comforting her when she was stressed or sad, and after only a few weeks, Ruby felt like she could let go of Dan. That was when they had the funeral. It was a somber affair, with very little people to attend it, though Blacker and Froghorn were being buried at the same time. Ruby felt the wave of sadness ways over her again. Maybe if she had got her head out of the clouds, she could have saved these two people. Clancy gave her a hug. He knew what she was thinking. Dan was to be buried in Twinford, in Spectrum's private cemetery, and Ruby, Clancy and Hitch all attended. Ruby expected them to be the only ones, but Hitch the superhuman had somehow hunted down Dan's family. They sobbed and cried over Dan's body, and Ruby felt wave after wave of regret that he could not be here to see them today. Clancy also looked troubled and tears rolled down his cheeks.
"He deserved a lot more." He told Ruby much later on, "He should be here now."
Dan's mother approached Ruby after the funeral.
"Tell me," she asked, "was he happy in the end?" Ruby choked on her words,
"I- I think so. He smiled and he laughed and he looked at peace."
"That's all I ever wanted for him." Said his mother, and her body shook with sobs,
"He deserved so much more, but he will be in our hearts forever." Ruby nodded,
"Always." And that was the last time Ruby ever saw the woman.
----
Clancy was needed at home, so he told Hitch that Ruby just needed a big hug, some chat over some hot cocoa, and lots of television. So Hitch gently knocked on Ruby's door half an hour later with two steaming cups of chocolate and as many marshmallows as you could fit into a mug. A chat and some Crazy Cops was what she wanted, and Hitch offered a silent prayer of thanks for Clancy's suggestion. As the end credits to Crazy Cops blared out, Ruby wrapped her arms around Hitch and gave him a tight hug. Hitch ruffled her hair fondly.
"We've been through a lot in one year kiddo."
"Yeah." Mumbled Ruby, "Crazy isn't it?" Hitch laughed,
"We did have some good times though. Donuts, banana milk, the Fairbank Rubies..." Ruby's mouth slanted into an odd smile,
"The truth serum." Ruby could see Hitch's grin shining like a supernova as the glare from television cast a dim light on his face. 
"That was amusing. We had to get you upstairs pronto, before you spilled the beans about anything and everything." Ruby managed a weak chuckle.
"I hope our future adventures together will be a little less dramatic." Hitch tightened his grip around her.
"Quite so Ruby. But Clancy and I, we'll stand by you for the rest of your life." Ruby pressed her face into Hitch's shoulder.
"I would hope so."
----
BLINK AND YOU DIE IS OUT EVERYONE I AM GETTING IT ON MONDAY OML. JUST ONE SMALL CHAPTER TO GO, WHEN RUBY GOES BACK TO SCHOOL AND THEN WE ARE DONE. I WILL DO A THANK YOU CHAPTER, TWO BOOK REVIEWS (spoiler free and with spoilers) AND HEADCANNONS ON REQUEST