Chapter Thirteen- I Love You More Than I Can Ever Scream

It was the day of the funeral. Me, Lee, Oliver, Dad, and my grandmother were up early at the crack of dawn. The band members had to stay at a nearby hotel, for the house was too small to hold everyone. I hated not sleeping in like usual, but I needed a couple hours or so to think of what I’m going to sing. I’m thinking of singing one of Andy’s songs, considering Oliver’s songs are mostly screamo and I don’t do screamo. I’ve tried, but that ship as long sailed. But which of his songs should I do?

A knock on my mum’s door, the room I was staying in, interrupted my train of thought. We only had two hours before the funeral and I was already dressed up in my snug but fitting knee-length black dress, my voluminous blond hair tied up in a pony tail, makeup on my face scarce, wearing a plain pair of black flats. I didn’t really plan on anyone seeing me before the funeral started, but I guess that plan is long gone.

“Come in,” I call, sitting on my mum’s bed, my knee over the other while facing the door.

The door opens slowly, Oliver appearing in the doorway. I figured it would’ve been him. He was dressed in a plain black tee and black straight-legged jeans, his wavy hair being straight for once. Oli looked good.

His expression gave me the feeling that his breath was just taken away by the sight of me. “Um, hello Jane,”

“Hi, Oli.” I looked at him curiously, as he shut the door. “What’s up with you?”

“I just needed to see you . . . You figured what song you are going to sing yet?”

I shook my head, “Not sure. I am thinking of singing one of Black Veil Brides’ songs, though. Something slow.”

He sat down beside me, awfully close. “Well, I haven’t listened to them all that much, but I have an idea of what you can sing. It will go perfectly with your mother’s death, too.”

I raise an eyebrow, “What is it? Because I have no –,”

Oliver cut me off. “The Mortician’s Daughter.”

I laugh in exasperation, “I feel so stupid! Of course!” My arms felt the need to hold him tightly against me. “Thank you so much, Oli.”

“No problem, Jane.” He smiles gleefully. “Always here to help. Now,” Oliver places one leg halfway on the bed, making himself more comfortable. “How about you practice the song? I assume you know all of the lyrics?”

“Yeah . . .” I answer slowly. I was too nervous to sing in front of him. What if I messed up, or he thought I was bad? I heave out a lengthy sigh. I begin to sing.

“I open my lungs, dear. I sing this song at funerals, no rush . . . These lyrics heard a thousand times just plush . . .” My voice comes out harmonically, feeling the notes and words flow through me. Singing and music is my passion. I continue to sing, as Oli watches in awe.

As I finish, I notice Oli in deep surprise. “Your Mum is right. You do have the voice of an angel.”

“Nahh,” I deny, laughing.

“I’m for real. That was beautiful. I bet not one person at the funeral will have a dry eye.” He spits out seriously.

“Really?” My eyes meet his.

“Yes, Jane. In fact . . .” Oli ponders his thought carefully. “I would like you to sing a couple parts in our upcoming album.”

Shocked, my mouth drops to the floor. “Seriously?” I’m so tempted to squeal and jump off these walls, but I keep my cool.

He nods. “I wouldn’t joke about that. I’m surprised your brother hasn’t mentioned anything about your voice.”

I shrug, pleased. “I dunno.”

“Well, whatever the reason is, it doesn’t matter.” Oliver sits up from the bed. “How about we go down with everyone else, now that you have a song to sing, and also tell them the news?” He held out his hand. I grab it without hesitation, as he pulls me up with such gentleness that warms my heart.

We walk out the door and down the stairs, to see my three family members sitting quietly in the living room. They look up at us as we go down the stairs with such grace.

“You two look like a married couple,” Lee comments, laughing almost hysterically.

I glare at my older brother, but silently wishing that was true.

____________