Cold

[In the airport 9:06 AM]

Ash and Serena stand in the middle of the airport hall. Inside of Ash's luggage was his sleeping pokemon, Pikachu.

Ash: My plane's about to leave, I'll come back for you, Clemont, and Bonnie soon!

Serena: ...

Ash: Hey, I won't be gone for long! You're going to continue pursuing your dream too right?

Serena: ...

Ash: Serena? Is there something you need to tell me?

Serena unties and pulls the blue ribbon off her shirt collar. The ribbon falls at Ash's feet as Serena walks out of the terminal.

Ash: Serena...

Ash looks at his feet, he picks up the ribbon and runs after Serena, leaving his luggage on the floor.

Ash: Serena wait!

Serena stops walking. Her hand tightly balled into a fist while her back was still turned to Ash. He finally caught up to her.

Ash: I promise I'll be back! I just-

Serena quickly turns around. Her fist opens up as she raises her arm. Her blue eye's shimmered as a tear rolled down her cheek.

When she looked up at him, he saw the pain in her eyes. It felt like a knot formed in Ash's stomach. After realizing he was the reason for Serena's hurting, Ash felt the pain too.

Serena's open hand lifts above her head. She closed her eyes as she swung her hand at Ash.

He watched her hand come down at great speeds. Ash also closed his eyes. He wasn't afraid of getting struck, but the feeling of hurting someone you care about already felt like he was being consumed by fire.

Ash: I'll come back, just for you.

Serena's eyes opened. She tried to stop her hand from reaching Ash, but she failed. Her hand struck Ash's jaw and the sound echoed causing a flock of fletching to fly away from the area. Ash stood in front of her as if he didn't even feel it.

Her hand rested on his face. There was a slight sting in his cheek. Ash touched her hand and held it tightly.

Serena regreted ever laying a finger on the one she's loved all these years, so she collapsed as Ash held the hand that struck him. The tears she tried to hold back came streaming like a river.

Ash watched her collapse, but he grabbed her and pulled her close before she could reach the ground. He rested on one knee with Serena in his arms. Ash took the blue ribbon and ripped it in half.

Ash: This is my promise to you. When I get back, it'll just be you and me. How does that sound?

He tied Serena's hair back in a ponytail with one half of the blue ribbon. Serena's cries slowly quieted down, but her body was still trembling. With blurry vision, she watched as Ash took the other half of the ribbon and tied it around his left wrist.

Ash: I promise you.

Serena: ...

Ash: I promise you.

Serena: ...

-

"I promise you."

Ash opens his eyes. He found himself sitting in the classroom with his back against the wall. Watching him were three of his classmates, Mallow, Lillie, and Lana.