The Heat

"I... I can't focus..." Ash muttered as he and Pikachu won in a battle against Sophocles.

On the other side of the sand by the ocean shore just outside of Ash's house stood his classmate and his pokemon, Togedemaru.
"What are you talking about 'I can't focus,' is it not enough that this is the fifteenth straight time you've beaten me?" Sophocles asked.

"I just...can't get her off my mind," Ash said as he fanned himself by puffing his shirt.

"Does it matter? Seems to me that you're battling just fine, well enough to take on the professor in the final exam in fact." Sophocles said. "Believe it or not, when it comes to Electric-type pokemon, no one knows more about how to use them than me! So, I should've known how your Pikachu would fare in battle, but you seem to have your own sort of unpredictable battle style that I can't seem to keep up with."

"It's not good enough-"

"Ash, I think you need to relax for a bit." Sophocles interrupted as he recalled his Togedemaru back into her pokeball. "You're taking this way too seriously. Professor Kukui wouldn't be so tough as an opponent for you to keep you from graduating on purpose."

"I know, I know, it's just that..."

"I'll be back in a few Ash, you and Pikachu should probably wash up. I can smell you from here, and it doesn't help that the humidity mixes in with it." He said as he walked away from the shore and onto the sandy road that leads to the school.

"Where are you going?" Ash asked.

"If you feel like you should improve your battling skills, you should probably battle someone who will make you work even harder for your victory, and I know just who to call!"
Sophocles ran up the road in the direction of one of the other student's current location.

"Well..." Ash sighed and sniffed the inside of his shirt, "I guess we do need to freshen up a bit, huh Pikachu?"

"Pi-ika..." Pikachu nodded and made his way back into the house as Ash followed.

-

Moments passed as Sophocles walked up the road towards the LycanRock Cafe. Along the way, he passed by an older girl in a red beanie and her air-surfing raichu headed the opposite direction holding plastic bags. The raichu held four tall cups of coffee in a tray with the LycanRock logo on each of them, one of them being a cold beverage.

Sophocles caught a whiff of the drinks as the distinct aroma rode the tropical breeze his direction.
'Hm, that smells good! I'll probably order a Salted Caramel when I get there,' He thought to himself.

The clouds the rolled over the Alola Region grew thicker and darker with each passing minute, and the tropical breeze began feeling colder.

Sophocles finally made it inside the coffee shop. From the doorway, he found just the person he was looking for, only then he realized. Kiawe sat the furthest table with Mallow. They looked far too deep in conversation to notice him at the front, so Sophocles decided not to bother them. Trying not to draw attention toward himself, he walked to the front counter and ordered a hot drink.
"A Salted Caramel, please." He said sounded slightly disappointed.

He peeked back at Kiawe. He still didn't notice Sophocles standing at the front, all of his attention was directed at Mallow. His smile was pure and he seemed to have really changed for the better, which Sophocles wasn't mad about at all. He proudly smirked at Kiawe as the barista finished his drink.
"Thanks." Sophocles smiled and walked out of the café.

---

"What's that, Lillie?" Lana asked as she noticed a little book in her hand.

Lillie came out of Mallow's house whipping sweat from her forehead. The rising heat of the Alola Region caused even more sweat to form on her face. "Oh, Lana! Were you planning on seeing Mallow?"