Chpt 1

Chpt 1

"Ivy. These books aren't in order how many times do I have to tell you that you need to be more careful?" I hear a familiar scolding voice. Sighing I drag myself over to where Tom is shuffling books around the shelves, glaring at me. "Ivy, you need to be more careful." he glowers before bustling off to wherever his soul resides. Yeah, unless you hadn't gathered by now, I'm Ivy. Why am I working this job, is it my aspiration? No, my aspiration is to sing. Singing is my passion and there's a lot of money in it, right? You know, if you manage to make it big and become a hit singer. So right now I'm stuck doing this suckish job at this stupid bookstore, confined to shelving and selling and occasionally pricing, if I'm super lucky (note the heavy sarcasm). I glance at the clock on the wall in front of me and yawn. Five minutes to go until I can get out of here. I'm literally counting the minutes, or if I'm being precise I'm literally counting the seconds, till I can get the hell out. I hear the door open and turn my head to see my best friends Sally, Tash and Sasha come running up to me. "Oh my God Ivy! We have to go!" Sally squeals.
"Why must we dash off so suddenly?" I ask her, raising my eyebrows.
"Because there's this guy-"
"No." I respond quickly, pretending to be doing something.
"Oh come on Ivy! He's really cute and he's totally yum."
"Then you go for him!" I reply, as Sasha rolls her eyes.
"Ivy you can be so stupid!"
"I'm not stupid, just sensible. I need to be focussed and so should you guys!"
"On what?"
"We do have a gig coming up..." I remind them, just for them to roll their eyes at me.
"Urgh Ivy, it's nothing big. We're just playing at Charlie's." Sally whinges. So Charlie's might not be the biggest bar out there, but all of the major bands started off playing somewhere. Maybe our launching point could be Charlie's? But of course the girls don't see it that way, they just roll their eyes at me - once again - and start talking at me. Notice the 'at' and not 'to', groaning I look at the clock and finally the five minutes are up. Walking out from behind the counter, I turn to my best friends.

"Well we have to start off somewhere..."

"He's super cute though, just saying."

"I really don't see how that's relevant to anything. Just saying." I mock Tash as the girls all roll their eyes at me. If you hadn't noticed, the rolling eyes thing is a major thing, it's like they have a sensor and they can roll their eyeballs in sync. Actually now that I think about it, it's kinda creepy...
"Are we off then?" I ask them as we look at each other and grin.
"Shopping!" we all say, bustling out of the book store.

~Nathan's pov~

I look at the phone. Should I call Ivy? I mean, we have been best friends since we were like three. And Jenny is not in town. Plus I really need to talk to someone about all of this. Throwing caution to the wind I dial the call button, hoping that she picks up. I hear it ringing. And again. And again... she must not know where it is, or maybe she left it at home, she does do that a lot. I'm just about to hang up when I hear her tentative "Hello."
"Hey Ivy." I say.
"You ok, you sound worried." See that is what I love about this girl, she knows me inside out. I mean, all I said was hello and she knew that something was up.
"Yeah, I'm ok, just wondering what you were up to."
"Erm... well I'm out with the girls; and please don't lie to me I'm not stupid." she says. So she's out with her friends. I can't really ask her to leave them.
"Nah. It's cool, just thought that I'd say hi is all." i reply.
"Nath-" she starts, but her friends start to say something.
"Well I'd better go then, bye Ivy."
"No wait!"
"What?" I ask her.
"What's up?"
"Nothing. I told you, I'm fine alright? I'm going now. See you later, yeah?"
"Ok." she mutters with a resigned sigh. She hangs up and then I'm left staring at the phone, contemplating what to do. I have to get mum, I mean she's been in hospital for so long. Jenny will just have to meet her later. Glancing at my engagement ring I smile. Just as soon as mum gets better Jenny and I will be married, so Jenny can meet mum after she comes back from her break with her mates, right? There's nothing to worry about and maybe I can help mum get settled in without anyone else being around to interfere. And most likely, if i know Ivy well enough, I'm sure that she'll be down here later on to see what was wrong. Heck, maybe she'll help out a little? Comfort mum with whatever it is girls do to comfort people. Thinking of that I go out to my car and drive to the hospital, but as I get out my stomach drops. I blink a few times, rubbing my eyes, trying to erase the view in front of me because the one thing that I never thought I would see is standing right there in front of me. Jenny... with doctor Larry. Now I mean I know that he is her doctor and stuff, but she was meant to be abroad with her mates. Not standing in the parking lot of the hospital with her tongue down the doctor's throat. Frustration floods through me. We're engaged for crying out loud! I have half a mind to stomp over to them when I realise that they have seen me. Well this oughta be fun...

AN: Dedication to twitching_soul for making the cover for this story. Thanks! :)