Chpt 10

i glance at gemma. "are you sure it's ok for you to be walking?" i ask tentatively. gemma nods at this.

"the doctor said to get back to normal activities as quickly as possible."

"ok." i reply. "what are we actually going to be buying? because i haven't got much-"

"i told you, this is on me!" says gemma. i open my mouth to speak but charl interrupts.

"don't even bother ivy. me and mum both know you're going to be all stupid and silly and say that you don't want the money blah blah blah but we're going to make you whether you like it or not. so there." i close my mouth when she makes this rather blunt interjection and give up.

"fine." i say, resigning to my fate...

>> ff a few hours >>

"ugh. i'm sooo tired." i moan, sinking into a seat in mcdonalds.

"tired? we've barely begun!"

"are you serious? we've been at it for the 4 hours or so."

"and...?"

"and so that's enough, have you seen these bags?"

"there's not that many."

"there is!"

"ok darling, if you want to go home we can. i think we have everything that i require for what i have planned." says gemma. i blink as the food arrives.

"which is...?" i ask, worried. there was a dress in those bags or something... and shoes. i gulp.

"just a little surprise."

"can't you tell me?" i ask her. she glances at charlotte. "you know, don't you?" i ask charl.

"yeah i do." she says bashfully.

"so...?"

"well we're basically having a ball to celebrate your engagement to nathan." she says. my head starts to spin.

"sounds... interesting."

"it will be good."

"when is it?"

"day after tomorrow."

"what?! does nathan even know?!" i ask, shocked it's that soon.

"no, we'll tell him tonight. when adam arrives." says gemma. i lean back into my chair.

"he's not going to be happy about this." i inform them. charl shrugs.

"well he's always moody. you can pacify him for us though, can't ya ivy?" she asks me, winking. i blush at what she's implying.

"ugh charl. you're such an idiot." i say, shoving her slightly. she just laughs at this and i roll my eyes. "you're enjoying this, aren't you?" i ask her.

"of course we are." says gemma, grinning. i roll my eyes again.

"pfft." i say, biting into my burger.

~nathan's pov~

i hear the doorbell ring and i frown. mum took the keys with her so who could be at the door? i groan and go downstairs, shoving the door open. "nathan!" i hear a familiar voice.

"hey adam. how have you been?" i ask him, stepping out of the way to let him in.

"yeah, i've been good. how about you?" he asks.

"good thanks." i say. "where's your stuff?"

"in the car, i'll get it in a min."

"nah, i'll get it, you rest a bit." i say to him.

"don't be stupid nathy boy, i need to hear all about how you and ivy happened man." he says, following me out. i laugh nervously. how am i meant to explain this? me and ivy haven't even come up with a fake story... hmm...

"it just kinda did." i reply, shrugging my shoulders as i take out his stuff.

"sure it did." he says, grinning at me like a loon.

"oh zip it ad." i reply, as we approach the house.

"oh zip it ad." he mimics me. i laugh at his lame imitation of me.

"how long are you guys staying?" i ask.

"no idea. charlotte said we're coming over for a while."

"what about your work?"

"i'm the boss. it doesn't really matter." he says, laughing. i sigh. he's the head of a car company. manager.

"you have it so easy." i reply.

"i chose the right profession."

"oh shut up." i say.

"good thing you and ivy got together actually, about time to be honest."

"what's that meant to mean?" i ask.

"you two are like made for each other." he says.

"you're really lame with soppy stuff."

"well that's what happens when you get married kiddo."

"right. i'm never changing."

"you will."

"ivy wouldn't want me to change." i tell him.

"you'll change for her. she won't ask you to."

"she loves me for who i am." i reply childishly, dumping his stuff in his and charl's room.

"whatever nathy boy, whatever." he replies, and i hear a car churn up. "here she comes!" he says, leaping out of the room. i laugh at this and follow him out. i walk up to them and immediately ivy ducks her head. they've told her something and she can't tell me. great. wonder what it is? she must be hiding something from me. i walk down to them and grin.

"what did you buy?" i ask her. she shrugs.

"stuff." she says vaguely.

"stuff like...?"

"well-" she starts.

"i didn't know you were so interested in shopping now nathan. go put it away ivy." says mum, giving me ivy a look. she smiles and nods, darting up the stairs. my gaze follows her. "nathan, be a dear and get the rest of the stuff out of the car?" asks mum. damn it. she knows me too well. i nod and walk out, hands in my pocket, thinking. i grab the stuff as quickly as i can. i run up the stairs to see ivy with her guitar, sitting on the bed, strumming.

"what're you playing?" i ask her. she jolts out of her little world, looking a little shocked. she smiles shakily.

"nothing much." she replies, setting the guitar aside.

"you ok?" i ask her. she looks at me in the eyes and nods. she's so lying. "alright, whats up?"

"nothing. just me, being stupid." she syas, getting up as i sit down.

"ivy?"

"i should go and see if gemma needs anything. she seemed really tired." she says and with that she darts off.