Chpt 13

he drags me into the centre of the dance floor. "nathan, what do you think you're doing?" i hiss quietly at him. he merely laughs at this.

"you'll see." he replies.

"nathan, i'm sort of worried that you're going to do something bad." i whisper.

"would i really be me if it wasn't?" he asks me.

"nathan... tell me what you're planning right now or i'll seriously walk off." i whisper to him. he just rolls his eyes and starts to dance with me. i try to wriggle free but to no avail. "i hate you sometimes." i say, resigning to dancing with him.

"i know." he replies, still wearing that massive grin. "can you see the git watching?" he asks me.

"no. actually, wait, yeah he is." i say, quickly looking away from john before our eyes meet. nathan grins at this. "what?" i ask in a whiny voice.

"i'm going to kiss you." he says. i roll my eyes.

"nathan you do realise that's really childish?" i tell him.

"trust me, it'll annoy him."

"i don't care." i lie.

"and i'm a green flying monkey." he says in all seriousness, causing me to laugh. i shove him softly.

"you're obviously not green, you're clearly purple." i tell him.

"why? if i was green then i'd match your dress and it's my favourite colour, surely i can be green?" he asks me.

"you're such a ding bat."

"no, i'm a monkey." he reminds me as the song dies down. he smiles at me softly, leaning towards me. i don't even know why, but m heart rate speeds up. he brushes some hair off my face and then kisses me. i respond almost immediately, he's not a bad kisser in all fairness. i can't hear anything, or anyone, apart from the sound of his breath.

~nathan's pov~

she didn't reel back like i thought she would. i pull her closer to me, liking the feel of her lips on mine. we pull away and i hear cheers, ivy ducks her head, clearly embarrassed. i laugh at this and she shoves me softly. "you're mean." she hisses. i shrug my shoulders.

"i'm a mean monkey." i reply, causing her to laugh. she looks into my eyes and shakes her head.

"what are we going to do with you?" she asks me, looking amused. i shrug.

"you know, you should wear green more often." i say to her.

"oh really?" she asks me. "why?"

"brings out the colour of your eyes." i reply. she just shakes her head.

"you're such an idiot." she says, walking off the dance floor. i follow her.

"i'm being serious." i say as she grabs a drink. she throws me a withering look.

"ok whatever nath." she replies, handing me a glass.

"i don't see why you don't believe me." i reply, sulking. she rolls her eyes and laughs at this.

"nathan, mum needs you." i hear charl saying before i see her. i groan.

"why?" i ask.

"says there's someone she wants you to meet." replies charl, shrugging.

~normal pov~

i watch nathan's retreating back. "so when're you planning on telling adam?" i ask charl as she grabs some water. she shrugs.

"i don't really know. i want to tell him soon. maybe when we go to the countryside..."

"you're going to the countryside?" i ask, intrigued now.

"yeah. didn't mum tell you?" she asks me. i shake my head at this. "well she's telling nathan now. we're all going. she's even invited linda."

"have you seen my mum?" i ask her.

"yeah. linda was heading to the toilets the last i saw her." says charl, taking a swig of her water. "ihave to go sit down." she says, looking at me apologetically.

"go for it, watch the stomach." i say, smiling at her. she merely laughs at this and walks off. my stomach lurches. i hadn't even thought about mum?! i rush over to the toilets and see her emerging. she raises her eyebrows at me, looking sad but happy. "mum." i say, smiling nervously.

"you have a lot of explaining to do dear." she says.

"let's go outside." i offer. as we start to walk i mull things over in my head. surely nathan wouldn't mind if i told my mother. she's sweet and all but when things went wrong with john she was upset, i couldn't put her through that again. i see nathan emerging from the crowds, smiling easily. oh good lord. he's by our side very quickly.

"hello linda, nice to see you." he says, grinning at mum. she smiles fondly at him and hugs him.

"there's my favourite lawyer." she says as we step into the cool air. "so ivy, care to explain why you've been engaged and not bothered to tell me?" she asks quietly, a hint of sadness in her voice. i glance at nathan and he nods his encouragement.

"well mum it's not real." i whisper. she frowns.

"pardon?" she asks.

"gemma was really unwell and jenny had just cheated on nathan and so when gemma asked about his fiancee he said the first girl's name that came to his head-"

"which was of course ivy's name." nathan finishes, looking entirely embarrassed by the situation. mum looks at me carefully.

"so gemma doesn't know?"

"no mum, no-one but us three know." i whisper back.

"how long do you two plan on playing this game?" she asks. "you know gemma is very excited by the whole prospect." she says, looking at me disprovingly. i look at the floor, thoroughly ashamed.

"i know. i'm sorry i didn-"

"ivy stop, this isn't your fault. it's mine. completely mine linda, and ivy was just pulled into it. she wasn't there when i said her name and i asked her to play along so please don't blame her." says nathan, smiling nervously. mum shakes her head.

"you kids." she says. "ok, i'll keep this a secret. i'm heading inside though, it's too cold out here." she says, walking back inside briskly. i watch her go and sigh.

"i'm sorry ivy this is all my-"

"don't worry nathan. as soon as gemma's better this whole charade will be over." i say, smiling bravely.

"yeah it will." he says, hugging me.