Chpt 5

After singing for a while with Gemma politely clapping for us I grab a drink. I get some water for Gemma and call the girls into the kitchen. They really do deserve an explanation from me, but now is not the time. "You really have some explaining to do." says Sasha.

"I know, ok, I promise it'll all make sense when I explain it to you guys later. Meet up at the cafe at about about 7?"

"No, we want to know straight after you drop Gemma off, ok?" Sally demands, crossing her arms across her chest. I roll my eyes, tired of all this even though we just started pretending.

"Guys, come on! I have to-"

"No you don't! Come on Ivy!" moans Tasha.

"Fine, fine! Whatever you guys say."

"Sure, and we want to know they whole story. Not just some shitty one that you make up, ok?"

"Ok! I'll tell you everything, alright?"

"Good." says Sasha, a grin encompassing her face. I roll my eyes at them and walk back to gemma.

"Do you want something to eat?" i ask her softly, to which she shakes her head.

"I'll be fine dear. When are we heading back?"

"Soon, are you sleepy?"

"A little." she says, rubbing her forehead.

"Oh. well it's not really a great bed or anything near as comfortable as yours but you can always sleep here, I mean it's a bit of a drive, isn't it?" I ask her.

"Alright then my dear." she says, getting up. I help her get to the room. She smiles at me as she settles down.

"Are you comfortable?" I ask her tentatively.

"You worry far too much my dear. I'm perfectly fine here." she tells me.

"Good. I'll be off then. Just let me know when you wake up, ok?" I ask her.

"I will ." she replies, closing her eyes. Soon her breathing pattern slows down and she's asleep. I walk back out to the girls.

"So Ivy, you now have the opportunity to explain in riveting detail what is going on."

"No! What if Gemma wakes up and hears what I'm saying?"

"Whisper." says Tasha, as if it's the easiest and most obvious thing in the world. I sigh and look at the door. It's closed so I guess it should be alright if I speak very quietly.

"Basically, you know jenny?"

"Yeah." they all reply together.

"She cheated on Nathan."

"Really?" asks Sally, looking surprised.

"I know, right? And seeing as Gemma didn't know who he was engaged to when she asked Nathan he lied and told her that I was his fiancee."

"What?!" exclaims Sasha. I glare at her and she shuts up. "Sorry, but what?!" she repeats

"I know. That was pretty much my reaction too..."

"So...?"

"So now I'm pretending to be his fiancee."

"Oh. My. God." mutters Sally, as if this is the most scandalous thing she has ever heard in her life - trust me when I say it isn't.

"And that's why we had to bring Gemma here because Jenny is coming to pick her stuff up today."

"I always knew she was a two-timer." says Tasha darkly.

"Whatever, I just hope nathan's ok." I mutter, thinking back to his face when I was leaving.

"You know the way you go on it's as if you really are in love with him." says Sasha, raising her eyebrows suggestively.

"Ughh, shut it Sash! I love him yes, but I'm not in love with him."

"Ooh, touchy touchy." she mocks. I roll my eyes.

"There's just no middle ground with you, is there?"

"Yeah but if you two did fall in love it'd be like a fairytale, see?"

"No, I don't see.". I reply.

"Yeah! You're childhood friends with completely different backgrounds-" says Sally

"-and you've always been there for each other-" Sasha starts.

"-and then he gets cheated on and you make up for it-" Tasha continues their little sentence.

"-and then you guys fall in love." they complete their sentence together. I make a face at them.

"That's stupid." I reply.

"It's not! It's completely viable and it would make a really cute film."

"Whatever, it's not going to happen so-"

"Actually it probably will. If you spend a lot of time with someone you're bound to fall in love with them. fact." says Sally. I frown at her logic.

"That's just stupid. I spend loads of time with you lot but i'm not in love with any of you."

"Yeah, preferred sex obviously. And before you get all smart-arse on me I mean people who are around your age and not related to you."

"Still don't buy it. What does that mean for pansexuals?" I reply stubbornly, to which she just sighs dramatically. It would be weird for Nathan and I to be together. I can't even imagine kissing Nathan, let alone doing anything else with him. Not Nathan, of all people. 

"It'll happen, and when it does we'll be here to say-"

"Told you so." we all mumble, me with a more bitter than the rest.

"Whatever, when Gemma's better then we're telling her the truth and then you'll all see that you were wrong."

"You know my theory will work."

"No it won't! If that really worked it would be a theorem."

"Oh sorry Miss Language Police, you know that my theorem will really work."

"No it won't otherwise we would already be in love because, as you say, we're childhood friends."

"Yeah, but you've never kissed or thought of each other like that before. Just wait."

"We're not going to kiss now."

"Oh really? We all know that Nathan isn't exactly a private lover." Tasha reminds me. Shaking my head at her I sigh. 

"You're right, but I am!"

"So? You'll have to kiss him at some point Ivy, face it."

"No I don't. and even if I did that wouldn't make me love him or anything stupid like that, ok?"

"Mmmmhm." says Sasha in a disbelieving tone of voice.

"Argh! You guys can b so stupid!" I moan as they all laugh.