Chpt 12

i look at my reflection in the mirror. this is so stupid. i look stupid. "charl? this is ridiculous." i say.

"i bet you look gorgeous." she says, walking out of the dressing room and into sight. she looks stunning.

"i really don't." i whine, slumping onto the bed.

"you look gorgeous!" she says, grabbing my hand and forcing me to stand up. "why aren't you wearing your heels?" she asks me.

"because i can't even stand in them, let alone walk." i reply to her.

"stop being such a baby." she says, bringing them over to me. i sigh.

"i just don't see why i have to dress up. it doesn't really improve me much, i still look like an idiot and nathan will probably just laugh at me."

"he won't be able to laugh at you because he'll be drooling."
"i honestly doubt that."

"when was the last time you wore a dress in public?"

"erm... i think it was probably prom. in high school. i think i wore a suit to the leavers ball to make a stand against society or something like that." i say. charl laughs at this.

"i remember that. you didn't want people to assume girls had to dress up in dresses and look all girly to be cute, right?"

"i wasn't really aiming for 'cute'." i reply to her. "but yeah, i was making a stand against the world's views."

"i love you." she says, hugging me, which completely throws my balance. i hear a knock on the door and charl runs to it. i honestly have no idea how she does that. running in heels? what is she?!

"hey i was wondering if ivy-"

"no you can not see her. go!" she says, slamming the door in nathan's face. i get up and walk over to her.

"ok so why isn't he allowed to see me?" i ask, really confused now.

"because it'll ruin everything." she says, grinning.

"can i remind you we aren't getting married today, so it's not like it's bad luck or anything." i say, laughing. charl merely shrugs.

"this is what gemma said."

"hey, charl. when can i see her?" i hear nathan asking from the other side of the door. i blush at this.

"get your ass downstairs and go welcome some guests you idiot." she says.

"but surely i get to take ivy with me i mean come on this is-"

"no. you can't. leave. now. or mum will get annoyed."

"fine." i hear him say, and he actually sounds annoyed. i laugh at this.

"i can't wait till you two get married. i've always thought that it'd be cool to have you as a sister-in-law." she says, grinning eagerly. i smile back, not really sure what to say to this.

"how many people are actually coming to this thing?" i ask her nervously.

"not that many. but there's isa surprise for a certain jerk."

"what do you mean?" i ask.

"well i saw that weirdo john that you used to date ages ago and he was all like 'how's ivy' and i just casually said that you were having an engagement party and i invited him. he's going to get a nice little smack in the face! right i have to go down now but you follow in a few minutes, ok?" she asks me. i nod, feeling really woozy as she bustles off. i grab my stomach, i feel like i'm about to be sick. john?! of all people to bump into and invite. i can't believe this. it's not fair. why him? why not some random bloke i dated in high school? oh yeah, i never dated anyone in high school. this sucks. this sucks major.