Chpt 3

I walk up the stairs, Nathan in pursuit. I try to take it all in. I mean, me and Nathan being together is so unlikely... I don't think that she'll buy it. She always has this knack of knowing when either of us is lying, apparently we both have 'give away signs'. Gritting my teeth I pause in front of the door and whisper. "If she finds out then I'm going to blame it all on you and pretend that I have no idea what you're on about." I warn him, causing him to laugh and roll his eyes.

"I know ok?" he asks, pushing the door open, I shove him slightly.
"You will never change." I mutter. A small cough from the bed causes my gaze to land on Gemma. She smiles at me from the bed. 
"Are you feeling ok?" I ask her, to which she just nods in reply.
"Im fine darling but I think the big question is something else. Tell me, how are you?" she asks, looking at Nathan suggestively, causing a blush to rise to my cheeks.

"I'm great thanks."
"I always knew you and Nathan would end up together." she says. Ok, I've been in a lot of embarrassing situations but this is super cringeworthy; this one pretty much takes the freaking cake. Looking at Nathan I notice that he's also pretty flushed. Awkward much? 
"So show me the ring Nathan bought for you."
"You know me Gem, we were thinking of rings later on." I jump in quickly. She frowns in disapproval.

"Nathan you really should have bought her a ring you know. I mean you of all people should know the kind of things that Ivy likes and dislikes."

"I thought she'd prefer to get the ring herself." he stammers, looking like a little kid who is being told off for eating too much chocolate. 
"I see, so when's the wedding planned for?" she asks quite politely. I glance at Nathan, totally confused, what do we say to that?!
"We were thinking of having a long engagement mum, you know, in case things don't work out." he mutters, that was what him and Jenny had been doing. A year since they've been engaged. Well, were engaged. 
"Ooh that's nice, although a tad unnecessary when it comes to the two of you. Either way that's your choice, as long as you are both happy." she says, smiling at me with a suggestive look. I'm sure she knows, she must know, but if she knew then surely she'd say something, right? 
"Is there anything you need?" I ask her softly. 
"Oh no dear, you just get comfortable. How is your singing coming along?" she asks me. I look at the floor.
"Ok I guess, I mean we have a gig..."
"Don't be so negative Ivy! It's at Charlie's!" Nathan urges me. I glance at him and smile, glad for the support.
"Oh come now, you'll do just fine." 

"Yeah, I sure hope so." 

"It's the modest ones that often make it." she says with a twinkle in her eye. Did I mention why nathan was so rich? All of this stuff is his parents. His mother was a model and actress and his father ran a massive business, before he unfortunately passed away two years ago due to a heart attack. I think he wanted Nathan to take over his business, not that Nathan's into business - he's a lawyer, quite a decent one at that. And he's done a bit of acting so that's always open to him. And he has connections thanks to his mother, obviously. I love gemma, I really do. How she ever became friends with my mother is a complete mystery to me. I mean, yeah they were mates through high school, but they lost touch. And then they suddenly became friends again. I mean, they must have been close, they still are and Gem was always extra nice to me ever since my dad left my mum. Went off with some other woman. I never really liked accepting her money, though. I felt too bad about it. Mum and I got on just fine. I mean, yeah her job wasn't the best paying job around, but we survived. I smile at Gemma, hoping she's ok. "Are you sure there's nothing that I can get for you?" I ask her again. she shakes her head.

"Nothing at all my dear." 
"Ok."
"She's too kind for her own good." nathan says, laughing. 
"Am not!" I reply. he nudges me and grins.
"Are so." he replies.
"Am not!" 
"Are so."
"Not."
"Are."
"Not."
"Are."
"Oh you children." says gemma, laughing. "You two haven't changed much, have you?" she asks me. 
"It's good to not change." i tell her in a matter-of-fact voice to which she merely laughs. 
"Sometimes a change is necessary." she tells me, looking at me with those twinkling eyes of hers.
"Mum, is it alright if we go for a bit?" Nathan asks, as if he's just remebered something.
"Yes, of course dear." she says, smiling. I frown at Nathan as he drags me out.
"I'll be back later." I reassure her.
"Don't worry about me darling." she says simply, closing her eyes as I shut the door. 
"What's up with you?" I ask him as he practically drags me down the stairs.
"Well Jenny's coming the day after tomorrow to take her stuff..." he mumbles; uh-oh.
"The day after tomorrow?! But your mother..."
"Exactly!"
"Unless I ask her to come to mine for something...."
"Something like?" he asks me.
"I don't know." I wail. Hmm, this is tricky. I mean, we can't have her seeing that Jenny was living here, because then she'd get suspicious and either assume that nathan was cheating or that we aren't really engaged. Which would be problematic. "I have no clue how we can get her out of the house. She's way to ill still..." 
"I know." he whispers. 
"But maybe..." I think, a plan coming to mind. 
"Yeah...?" 
"Oh forget it, it's stupid."
"Tell me!" he pleads.
"No, it was stupid..."
"Come on, it's not like i'm going to come up with anything better."
"Yet you're the lawyer?" I say to him, my eyebrows raised.
"Whatever. I fight the cases with the evidence that has already been provided to me. so, your idea was...?"
"Well maybe we could..." I mumble to him.