Chpt 30

Jenny is scowling at Henry, as if she wants to kill him, not that I necessarily blame her. No one is even saying anything, it's as if breathing too hard would slice the atmosphere. Nathan coughs and glances at me with a hopeful look on his face, what on earth does he expect me to do?! "Can someone pass me the sandwiches?" I ask in an attempt to lighten things up. It doesn't really work because Henry just wordlessly passes them over to me, his scowl not once being lifted from his face, his eyes not even turning to meet mine. I take them and place them by me, picking up a cheese sandwich and wishing I was anywhere but here. "Nath, when can we head back?" Jenny asks him, giving him a sickeningly sweet smile. It makes my stomach churn just looking at it, as she flicks some more manure off herself. She still looks great in all honesty, even when covered in horse dung, and here I am just feeling ugly and gross. Great for my morale, really great. Nathan is giving me imploring looks but there's nothing that I can do, I mean I just tried to stem the tension but it was hardly effective. 

"I think we should stay a little longer." he says eventually. She sighs but smiles at him anyway and then resumes her scowling face. "Ivy I need to check the stables, come with me." Nath says abruptly.

"Check the stables?" I ask him, confused now. He raises his eyebrows at me in a desperate manner. 

"Yes. The stables needs checking, remember I told you about it…?" he asks. I smirk, kind of enjoying this situation now. I love watching him getting all flustered, it's kinda cute. 

"No, I don't recall you telling me about this…" I reply, shrugging as if I didn't have any idea what he was on about.

"You know, the other when I was saying that the wall needed checking."

"Wall?" I ask him, trying my best not to snigger.

"Yes, the wall needs to be checked."

"And you're asking me why?" I ask him, cocking an eyebrow at him. His lips form a thin line on his face and he merely gets up, grabs my arm and drags me inside the stables causing my sandwich to fall to the ground in the process, not that this stops me. "So, which wall exactly are we inspecting?" I jest as he scowls at me.

"Not funny Ivy." he replies sourly. 

"Ah come on now Nathy boy, it was a little funny." 

"Nope. Not funny in the slightest." he says, although there is a faint smile itching on his face. 

"So what was the real reason that you decided to, quite literally, drag me in here?" I ask him. 

"Well I don't know what to do."

"About the wall?" 

"No, don't be stupid Ivy. About Jenny." he whispers. My heart stammers a little at this confession. He doesn't know what to do? 

"What do you want me to say?" 

"I don't know. What do you think I should do? Should I give her another chance or not?" he asks me, looking at me with a worried expression on his face. No no no no no I think desperately, she's not worth it

"Do what you want." is what I actually tell him. 

"I don't know what I want." he whispers in a forlorn manner. 

"Well do you want her back or not?" 

"I do and I don't."

"Tell her that then." I reply.

"Why are being edgy?" he asks me curiously. Am I being edgy? I hadn't realised.

"Well that sandwich was pretty tasty…" I whisper with a dramatic sigh, to which he just laughs.