Chpt 28

"So you're faking this whole thing because of Gemma?" Henry asks, glancing from me to Nathan and back. I nod in agreement and sigh.

"It's really messed up, we know that."

"She's gonna be crushed when she finds out you know?"

"Yeah but what could I have done? Told her that the girl that was my fiancé had left me for someone else?" Nathan asks, staring at the ground in disgust. Silence encompasses us as Henry thinks this over. 

"Well you could have I suppose, even if you didn't quite like the idea." he ventures, treading slowly because he knows he's only just gained Nathan's trust. 

"Yeah but with her state of mind…" Nathan whispers. 

"Don't you think it'll affect her more when you tell her it's fake?" he asks quietly. 

"We never really thought of that." I whisper, mortified. 

"We could just say we broke it off…?"

"She'd hate me. And also it would become really awkward if we were still friends even though we broke up." I reply to Nathan's outlandish suggestion. I bite my lip, trying not to scream as I think about this very valid point.

"We could just tell her the truth?" Nathan offers. Silence meets his suggestion as both me and Henry think this idea over. 

"You'd be ok with that?" I ask him quietly. 

"I'll have to be, it's the only feasible way of keeping you and her." he replies with a short shrug, though his face reflects something else entirely.

"How about we just cross that bridge when we get to it?" I ask him, squeezing his hand gently. "We can keep going for a little while longer, I'm sure." I whisper to him. 

"What do you think Henry?" Nathan asks and I smile at the massive change. One day ago and he wouldn't have even looked at Henry and now they're best mates again. 

"I guess it's doable. Just, figure out a way to tell her soon. Or…" he says, a mischivieous grin forming on his face.

"Or what?" I ask, not sure I really want to her his proposition. 

"You guys could fall in love and get married." he says before running off, too fast for me to catch him. I shake my head at his antics, my heart racing slightly at his suggestion. 

   "What if Nathan gets suspicious?" I whisper quietly to Henry as we crouch behind the stables. We sent Nathan back to the house to get food for a picnic, laying a trap for him, and I kinda feel bad now.  

"He won't." he replies complacently, bobbing his head to some imaginary tune.

"We have done this to him before you know..?"

"Of course I know, I was the one who initiated it that time as well." 

"But what if he gets offended?"

"I'm sure you can pacify him." he replies with a wink as I feel my face heat up.

"Henry we're not-"

"Yeah yeah yeah spew that garbage to someone who hasn't known the two of you since forever and a day." 

"But he's being all sweet and getting us stuff to eat and I don't think it'd very-"

"Shh I think he's coming." Henry hisses, putting his hand over my mouth. I frown at this and move my head away. 

"Henry, what if he goes into a strop ag-?" I start but Henry shoves me over and places his hand on my mouth firmly. 

"Shut up would you?" he hisses playfully. I scowl up at him and the sound of approaching footsteps causes us both to freeze up.

"Hey guys what are you doing back here- oh." I hear Nathan saying, the footsteps coming to a stop. I hear a soft thud and I struggle to get up but Henry's rooted to the spot, his legs still straddling my waist and his hand over my mouth. After an eon of awkwardness he finally moves off me and stands up, looking a little flustered. 

"What were you guys…? In fact I don't want to know." Nathan says, looking a little repulsed. I bite my lip and don't meet his eyes. 

"So what have you got for us then?" I ask in a slightly shaky voice. 

-Nathan's POV- 

   She looks at me with a nervous smile and I grin back, trying to get the image of her and Henry out of my head. I mean she's free to do what she wants and all that. It's not like we're actually together. But still I feel this weird sensation when I see them together. I can't help but wish that it was me instead of Henry with her. Just holding her and not letting her go. "I saw you guys tried to set up the prank again." I say, forcing myself to speak even though my voice sounds alienated and detached. Ivy flushes at this and bites her lip in a really aggravating way. 

]"I didn't want to it was all Henry's idea." she says eventually, so I turn to face a grinning Henry.

"Would'a been funny though." he says, shrugging at me. Another awkward silence falls between the three of us. "Come on Nathy boy, hand over the food!" Henry says, lunging for it. I raise it above my head with a sarcastic chuckle.

"After the two of you tried to set me up? That's a joke, right?" I ask him.

"Aww come on man, it was just a harmless prank." 

"Harmless? It involved me being covered in horse manure." Nathan points out. 

"So you'd smell funny, it's not like there's someone you need to impress or anything. We're all family here." Henry says, aiming for the food again. I step back though and Ivy laughs at the two of us. Her laugh stops me for a few seconds. 

"So this is where you guys are?" I hear Sally asking as she emerges from behind me with the rest of Ivy's gaggle of girls. 

"Nathy booooy you never did introduce me to these chicks."

"We're Ivy's band." Sally says, stepping forward and introducing everyone. 

"Anyway there's something that we need to tell-" she starts but then I hear a car pulling up and the car I see seems to be awfully familiar. 

"Is that…?" Ivy whispers quietly as I see her getting out of the car.

"Well we were going to tell you but I guess she robbed us of the chance." Tasha says sourly. 

"Jenny." me and Ivy whisper at the same time.

AN: SO AWFULLY SORRY. JUST THIS YEAR I WILL BE MEGA SLOW ON UPLOADS AND YOU MAY NEED TO PINCH ME OR PROD ME OR SOMETHING EVERY SO OFTEN.

And what is Jenny doing back...? Any ideas? 

Feel free to speculaaaate :)